York County, Pennsylvania Facts
York County was established on August 19, 1749, from Lancaster County. The county was named for the English city of York.
Currently the York County Seat is located in York and in addition the county government website is www.york-county.org/
Counties adjacent to York County are Cumberland County (north), Dauphin County (northeast), Lancaster County (east), Harford County, Maryland (southeast), Baltimore County, Maryland (south), Carroll County, Maryland (southwest), Adams County (west).
Municipalities situated in York County consist of Townships: Carroll, Chanceford, Codorus, Conewago, Dover, East Hopewell, East Manchester, Fairview, Fawn, Franklin, Heidelberg, Hellam, Hopewell, Jackson, Lower Chanceford, Lower Windsor, Manchester, Manheim, Monaghan, Newberry, North Codorus, North Hopewell, Paradise, Peach Bottom, Penn, Shrewsbury, Spring Garden, Springettsbury, Springfield, Warrington, Washington, West Manchester, West Manheim, Windsor, York. Boroughs: Cross Roads, Dallastown, Delta, Dillsburg, Dover, East Prospect, Fawn Grove, Felton, Franklintown, Glen Rock, Goldsboro, Hallam, Hanover, Jacobus, Jefferson, Lewisberry, Loganville, Manchester, Mount Wolf, New Freedom, New Salem, North York, Railroad, Red Lion, Seven Valleys, Shrewsbury, Spring Grove, Stewartstown, Wellsville, West York, Windsor, Winterstown, Wrightsville, Yoe, York Haven, Yorkana. Cities & Towns: York. See also York County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
York County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. York Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
York County Society and Family History Resources
A list of York County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pennsylvania State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- York County Archives, 150 Pleasant Acres Road, York, PA 17402; 717-840-7222
- Historical Society of York County , 250 East Market St., York, PA 17403-2090; (717) 848-1587
- York County Heritage Trust, 250 E. Market Street, York, PA 17403; 717-848-1587, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Central Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1824, York, PA 17405-1824
- York County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in York County
- York County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for York County
York County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of York County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the York County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in York County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- York County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 45 North George Street, York, PA 17401
- Phone: (717) 771-9288
- York County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Address: 28 East Market Street, York, PA 17401
- Phone: (717) 771-9213
- Land Records: 1749
- York County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 717-771-9612
- Court & Divorce Records: 1749
- York County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (717) 771-9262
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1749
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- York County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
York County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to York County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite York County genealogy or family history related sites.
York Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
York Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
York Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
York Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
York Co. PA Census Records
York Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
York Co. PA Church & Bible Records
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1801-53: Trinity Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1764-1936: Reformed Congregation of St. Paul's/Wolf's Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1801-73: Canadochly Lutheran and Reformed Congregations (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1758-1800: First Moravian Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1763-1869: St. David's/Sherman's Reformed and Lutheran Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1745-1800: First Reformed (Trinity) Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1800-56: Emmanuel's Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1764-1894: Wolf's (St. Paul's) Reformed and Lutheran Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania, 1764-1800: Strayer's (Salem) Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Marriages, 1800-46: First Trinity Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Luke's Lutheran and Reformed Congregations, York County, Pennsylvania, 1773-1835 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chanceford Township, York County, Pennsylvania Church Records (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Matthew's Lutheran Church, York County, Pennsylvania, 1743-99 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania: Reformed Congregation of Roth's Church Baptisms, York County 1818-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- Private Church Registers to 1800, York County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania: Creutz Creek Church Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Evangelical Lutheran Congregation at Rossville, York County, Pennsylvania, 1843-88 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Mt. Zion Lutheran Church at Cedar Point, York County, Pennsylvania, 1868-1938 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the Kreutz Creek Charge of the Reformed Church (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for York County, Pennsylvania (topozone.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Church Books (amazon.com)
York Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
York Co. PA General and History Websites
- York County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of York County, Pennsylvania : from the earliest period to the present time, divided into general, special, township an (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Lancaster and York Counties : from the earliest settlements made within them, in the former, from 1709, in the latte (search.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- York Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- York County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - York (cyndislist.com)
- York County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- York Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- York County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- York Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
York Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
York Co. PA Military Records