Washington County, Pennsylvania Facts
Washington County was established on March 28, 1781 from Westmoreland County. The county was named in honor of George Washington, first U.S. President .
Currently the Washington County Seat is located in Washington and in addition the county government website is www.co.washington.pa.us
Counties adjacent to Washington County are Beaver County (north), Allegheny County (northeast), Westmoreland County (east), Fayette County (southeast), Greene County (south), Marshall County, West Virginia (southwest), Ohio County, West Virginia (west), Brooke County, West Virginia (west), Hancock County, West Virginia (northwest).
Municipalities situated in Washington County consist of Townships: Amwell, Blaine, Buffalo, Canton, Carroll, Cecil, Chartiers, Cross Creek, Donegal, East Bethlehem, East Finley, Fallowfield, Hanover, Hopewell, Independence, Jefferson, Morris, Mount Pleasant, North Bethlehem, North Franklin, North Strabane, Nottingham, Peters, Robinson, Smith, Somerset, South Franklin, South Strabane, Union, West Bethlehem, West Finley, West Pike Run. Boroughs: Allenport, Beallsville, Bentleyville, Burgettstown, California, Canonsburg, Centerville, Charleroi, Claysville, Coal Center, Cokeburg, Deemston, Donora, Dunlevy, East Washington, Elco, Ellsworth, Finleyville, Green Hills, Houston, Long Branch, Marianna, McDonald, Midway, New Eagle, North Charleroi, Roscoe, Speers, Stockdale, Twilight, West Alexander, West Brownsville, West Middletown. Cities & Towns: Monongahela, Washington. See also Washington County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Washington County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Washington County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Washington County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Washington County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: One South Main Street, Washington, PA 15301
- Phone: (724) 228-6775
- Washington County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Address: 100 West Beau Street, Room 204, Washington, PA 15301
- Phone: 724-228-6806
- Land Records: 1781
- Washington County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 724-228-6787
- Court & Divorce Records: 1781
- Washington County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: 724-228-6775
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1781
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Washington County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Washington County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Washington County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Washington County genealogy or family history related sites.
Washington Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washington Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. PA Census Records
Washington Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washington Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Washington Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. PA General and History Websites
- Washington County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The Bibliography of Washington County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Washington County, Pennsylvania (search.ancestry.com)
- 20th century history of the city of Washington and Washington County, Pennsylvania and representative citizens (search.ancestry.com)
- The Old and New Monongahela (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Washington County from its first settlement to the present time : first under Virginia as Yohogania, Ohio, or August (search.ancestry.com)
- The courts of justice, bench and bar of Washington County, Pennsylvania : with sketches of the early court-houses, the judicial (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Washington Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Washington (cyndislist.com)
- Washington County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Washington Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Washington County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Washington Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Washington Co. PA Military Records
- Pennsylvania Military Records (fold3.com) offers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Pennsylvania both males and females who served. Excellent for Washington County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
Washington Co. PA Schools & Directories