Tioga County, Pennsylvania Facts
Tioga County was established on March 26, 1804 from Lycoming County. The county was named for the Tioga River, itself named for the Lenape word for "forks of the stream".
Currently the Tioga County Seat is located in Wellsboro and in addition the county government website is www.tiogacountypa.us
Counties adjacent to Tioga County are Steuben County, New York (north), Chemung County, New York (northeast), Bradford County (east), Lycoming County (south), Potter County (west).
Municipalities situated in Tioga County consist of Townships: Bloss, Brookfield, Charleston, Chatham, Clymer, Covington, Deerfield, Delmar, Duncan, Elk, Farmington, Gaines, Hamilton, Jackson, Lawrence, Liberty, Middlebury, Morris, Nelson, Osceola, Putnam, Richmond, Rutland, Shippen, Sullivan, Tioga, Union, Ward, Westfield. Boroughs: Blossburg, Elkland, Knoxville, Lawrenceville, Liberty, Mansfield, Roseville, Tioga, Wellsboro, Westfield. See also Tioga County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Tioga County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Tioga Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Tioga Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Tioga County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Tioga County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Tioga County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Tioga County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Tioga County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Tioga County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Tioga County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 116 Main Street, Wellsboro, PA 16091
- Phone: (570) 724-9260
- Tioga County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (570) 724-9260
- Land Records: 1806
- Tioga County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (570) 724-9281
- Court & Divorce Records: 1806
- Tioga County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (570) 724-9260
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1806
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Tioga County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Tioga County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Tioga County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Tioga County genealogy or family history related sites.
Tioga Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tioga Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- The Wellsboro Agitator (Wellsboro, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Wellsboro Gazette (Wellsboro, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Tioga Eagle (Wellsboro, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Agitator (Wellsboro, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Tioga County Agitator (Wellsboro, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Agitator (Wellsborough, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Tioga County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Pennsylvania Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Tioga County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Tioga Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tioga Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tioga Co. PA Census Records
Tioga Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tioga Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Tioga Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Tioga Co. PA General and History Websites
Tioga Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Tioga Co. PA Military Records
- Pennsylvania Military Records (fold3.com) offers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Pennsylvania both males and females who served. Excellent for Tioga County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.