Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Facts
Dauphin County was established on March 4, 1785 from Lancaster County. The county was named in honor of Louis-Joseph, Dauphin of France.
Currently the Dauphin County Seat is located in Harrisburg and in addition the county government website is www.dauphincounty.org/
Counties adjacent to Dauphin County are Northumberland County (north), Schuylkill County (northeast), Lebanon County (east), Lancaster County (south), York County (southwest), Cumberland County (west), Perry County (west).
Municipalities situated in Dauphin County consist of Townships: Conewago, Derry, East Hanover, Halifax, Jackson, Jefferson, Londonderry, Lower Paxton, Lower Swatara, Lykens, Middle Paxton, Mifflin, Reed, Rush, South Hanover, Susquehanna, Swatara, Upper Paxton, Washington, Wayne, West Hanover, Wiconisco, Williams. Boroughs: Berrysburg, Dauphin, Elizabethville, Gratz, Halifax, Highspire, Hummelstown, Lykens, Middletown, Millersburg, Paxtang, Penbrook, Pillow, Royalton, Steelton, Williamstown. Cities & Towns: Harrisburg. See also Dauphin County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Dauphin County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Dauphin Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dauphin Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dauphin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Dauphin County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Dauphin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Pennsylvania State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Historical Society of Dauphin County , 219 South Front Street, Harrisburg, PA 17104, (717) 233-3462
- Capital Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 4502, Harrisburg, PA 17111-0502; 717-545-2622
- Camp Curtin Historical Society, 2221 N. Sixth Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110
- Lower Paxton Historical Society, 429 Prince Street, Harrisburg, PA 17109
- West Hanover Township Historical Society, 7171 Allentown Boulevard, Harrisburg, PA 17112
- National Historical Society, 6405 Flank Dr., Harrisburg, PA 17112-2750; 717-657-9555; Publishes"American History Illustrated"
- Historic Harrisburg Association, P.O. Box 1843, 1230 North 3rd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1843; Phone: (717) 233-4646
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Dauphin County
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Dauphin County
Dauphin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Dauphin County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Dauphin County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Dauphin County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Dauphin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Front & Market Streets, Harrisburg, PA 17101
- Phone: (717) 780-6507
- Dauphin County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (717) 780-6560
- Land Records: 1785
- Dauphin County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: (717) 780-6520
- Court & Divorce Records: 1785
- Dauphin County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (717) 780-6500
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1785
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Dauphin County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
- Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Dauphin County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Dauphin County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Dauphin County genealogy or family history related sites.
Dauphin Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Dauphin Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Dauphin Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Dauphin Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Dauphin Co. PA Census Records
Dauphin Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Dauphin Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Dauphin Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Dauphin Co. PA General and History Websites
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, with genealogical memoirs (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the counties of Dauphin and Lebanon in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, biographical and genealogical (search.ancestry.com)
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties : cont (search.ancestry.com)
- Centennial memorial, English Presbyterian congregation, Harrisburg, Pa. (search.ancestry.com)
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Dauphin Co. PA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Pennsylvania - Counties - Dauphin (cyndislist.com)
- Dauphin County Pennsylvania (genealogytrails.com)
- Dauphin Co. PAGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Dauphin County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania USGenWeb Archives (usgwarchives.net)
- Dauphin Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Dauphin Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Dauphin Co. PA Military Records
Dauphin Co. PA Schools & Directories