Washington County, Oregon Facts
Washington County was created on July 5, 1843, as one of the four original counties created in Oregon . This particular county was named in honor of George Washington (1732 - 1799), Founding Father of the United States and first President of the United States.
The Washington County Seat can be found in Hillsboro plus the county government website is www.co.washington.or.us/
Areas adjoining Washington County happen to be Multnomah County (east), Clackamas County (southeast), Columbia County (north), Yamhill County (south).
Cities and towns situated in Washington County consists of Beaverton, Cornelius, Durham, Forest Grove, Gaston, Hillsboro, King City, Lake Oswego, North Plains, Portland, Rivergrove, Sherwood, Tigard, Tualatin, Wilsonville.
Washington County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Washington Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Washington County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington County Historical Society, 17677 NW Springville Rd., Portland, OR 97229-1743; (503) 645-5353
- Genealogical Society of Washington County, PO Box 2123, Hillsboro, OR 97123
- Hillsboro Historical Society, c/o 337 NE 2nd Avenue, Hillsboro, OR 97124
- Oregon State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington County, Oregon Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Oregon Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide (arcweb.sos.state.or.us)
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Washington County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Washington County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Washington County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 155 N First Ave, Hillsboro, OR 97124
- Phone: (503) 846-8752
- Marriage Records: 1842
- Land Records: 1847
- Washington County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 150 N 1st Avenue MS37, Hillsboro, OR 97124
- Phone: 503.846.8888
- Court Records: 1842
- Probate Records: 1844
- Washington County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Washington County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Washington County genealogy or family history related sites.
Washington Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from Oregon (1816 - 1923) (genealogybank.com) Immediately find names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices and other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added on a monthly basis!
- Morning Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Weekly Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Oregon Books (amazon.com)
- Washington County Newspapers (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com) Research Your Family Tree & Genealogy with over 5,000+ Titles, over 400 Years of news articles in all 50 States!
- Washington County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Washington Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washington Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. OR Census Records
Washington Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washington Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Washington Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. OR General and History Websites
Washington Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. OR Military Records
- Washington County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Washington County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Washington Co. OR Schools & Directories