Umatilla County, Oregon Facts
Umatilla County was created on September 27, 1862 from a portion of Wasco County. This particular county was named for the Sahaptin word, possibly meaning laughing waters.
The Umatilla County Seat can be found in Pendleton plus the county government website is www.co.umatilla.or.us/
Areas adjoining Umatilla County happen to be Benton County, Washington (north), Walla Walla County, Washington (north), Columbia County, Washington (northeast), Wallowa County (east), Union County (east), Grant County (south), Morrow County (west).
Cities and towns situated in Umatilla County consists of Adams, Athena, Echo, Helix, Hermiston, Milton-Freewater, Pendleton, Pilot Rock, Stanfield, Ukiah, Umatilla, Weston.
Umatilla County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Umatilla Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Umatilla Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Umatilla Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Umatilla County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Umatilla County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Umatilla County Historical Society, 108 SW Frazer, PO Box 253, Pendleton, OR 97801; (541) 276-0012
- Umatilla Museum, 911 Sixth Street, P.O. Box 975, Umatilla, OR 97882; (541) 922-0209
- Blue Mountain Genealogical Society, PO Box 1801, Pendleton, OR 97801
- Oregon State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Umatilla County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Umatilla County, Oregon Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Umatilla County, Oregon Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide (arcweb.sos.state.or.us)
Umatilla County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Umatilla County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Umatilla County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Umatilla County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Umatilla County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 216 SE 4th, Pendleton, OR 97801
- Phone: (541) 278-6236
- Marriage Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1861
- Umatilla County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 216 SE 4th, P.O. Box 1307, Pendleton, OR 97801
- Phone: 541.278.0341
- Court Records: 1863
- Probate Records: 1862
- Umatilla County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Umatilla County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Umatilla County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Umatilla County genealogy or family history related sites.
Umatilla Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Umatilla Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Umatilla Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Umatilla Co. OR Census Records
Umatilla Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Umatilla Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Umatilla Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Umatilla Co. OR General and History Websites
Umatilla Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Umatilla Co. OR Military Records
- Umatilla County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Umatilla County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Umatilla Co. OR Schools & Directories