Morrow County, Oregon Facts
Morrow County was created on February 16, 1885 from the western portion of Umatilla County and a small portion of eastern Wasco County. This particular county was named in honor of Jackson L. Morrow, a state representative who advocated for the formation of the county.
The Morrow County Seat can be found in Heppner plus the county government website is www.morrowcountyoregon.com/
Areas adjoining Morrow County happen to be Gilliam County (west), Wheeler County (southwest), Grant County (south), Umatilla County (east), Benton County, Washington (north), Klickitat County, Washington (northwest).
Cities and towns situated in Morrow County consists of Boardman, Heppner, Ione, Irrigon, Lexington.
Morrow County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Morrow Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Morrow County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morrow County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Morrow County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Morrow County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Morrow County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Morrow County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Morrow County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 100 Court Street, Heppner, OR 97836
- Phone: (541) 676-9061
- Marriage Records: 1885
- Land Records: 1861
- Morrow County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: PO Box 609, 100 S Court St., Heppner, OR 97836
- Phone: 541.676.5264
- Court Records: 1885
- Probate Records: 1868
- Morrow County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Morrow County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morrow County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Morrow County genealogy or family history related sites.
Morrow Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morrow Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morrow Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morrow Co. OR Census Records
Morrow Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morrow Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Morrow Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morrow Co. OR General and History Websites
Morrow Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morrow Co. OR Military Records
- Morrow County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Morrow County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Morrow Co. OR Schools & Directories