Malheur County, Oregon Facts
Malheur County was created on February 17, 1887 from the southern portion of Baker County. This particular county was named for the Malheur River (formally "Riviere au Malheur" or "Unfortunate River"), named by French trappers whose property and furs were stolen from their river encampment.
The Malheur County Seat can be found in Vale plus the county government website is www.malheurco.org/
Areas adjoining Malheur County happen to be Harney County (west), Grant County (northwest), Baker County (north), Washington County, Idaho (northeast), Payette County, Idaho (east), Canyon County, Idaho (east), Owyhee County, Idaho (east), Humboldt County, Nevada (south).
Cities and towns situated in Malheur County consists of Adrian, Jordan Valley, Nyssa, Ontario, Vale.
Malheur County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Malheur Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Malheur County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Malheur County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Malheur County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Malheur County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Malheur County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Malheur County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Malheur County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 251 B St West, Vale, OR 97918
- Phone: (541) 473-5151
- Marriage Records: 1880
- Land Records: 1863
- Malheur County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: PO Box 670, 251 B St. W, Vale, OR 97918
- Phone: 541.473.5171
- Court Records: 1886
- Probate Records: 1861
- Assessor's Office and Storage Area: Courthouse, 251 B St West, Vale, OR 97918
- Malheur County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Malheur County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Malheur County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Malheur County genealogy or family history related sites.
Malheur Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Malheur Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Malheur Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Malheur Co. OR Census Records
Malheur Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Malheur Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Malheur Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Malheur Co. OR General and History Websites
Malheur Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Oregon Links and Information
- Malheur County D.O.T. Map, Sheet [map 1], [map 2], [map 3], [map 4], [map 5], [map 6], [map 7], [map 8], [map 9], [map 10]
- 1895 Malheur County Map (livgenmi.com)
Malheur Co. OR Military Records
- Malheur County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Malheur County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Malheur Co. OR Schools & Directories