Lake County, Oregon Facts
Lake County was created on October 24, 1874 from the southern part of Wasco County and the eastern part of Jackson County (Land added from Grant County in 1885). This particular county was named for the Numerous lakes and hot springs. .
The Lake County Seat can be found in Lakeview plus the county government website is www.lakecountyor.org/
Areas adjoining Lake County happen to be Deschutes County (north), Klamath County (west), Harney County (east), Modoc County, California (south), Washoe County, Nevada (south).
Cities and towns situated in Lake County consists of Lakeview, Paisley.
Lake County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Lake Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1880. Lake Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1880. Lake Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Lake County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lake County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Lake County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Lake County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lake County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Lake County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Lake County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 513 Center Street, Lakeview, OR 97630
- Phone: (541) 947-6006
- Marriage Records: 1875
- Land Records: 1870
- Lake County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 513 Center St., Lakeview, OR 97630
- Phone: 541.947.6051
- Court Records: 1875
- Probate Records: 1874
- Lake County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Lake County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lake County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Lake County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lake Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lake Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lake Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lake Co. OR Census Records
Lake Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lake Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Lake Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lake Co. OR General and History Websites
Lake Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lake Co. OR Military Records
- Lake County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Lake County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Lake Co. OR Schools & Directories