Jefferson County, Oregon Facts
Jefferson County was created on December 12, 1914 from territory that was once part of Crook County. This particular county was named for Mount Jefferson, which is located on its western boundary, named in turn for Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826), the 3rd president of the United States.
The Jefferson County Seat can be found in Madras plus the county government website is www.co.jefferson.or.us/
Areas adjoining Jefferson County happen to be Wheeler County (east), Crook County (south), Deschutes County (south), Linn County (west), Marion County (northwest), Wasco County (north).
Cities and towns situated in Jefferson County consists of Culver, Madras, Metolius.
Jefferson County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1920, 1930, 1940. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Jefferson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Jefferson County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Jefferson County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 75 SE "C" Street, Madras, OR 97741
- Phone: (541) 475-4451
- Marriage Records: 1882
- Land Records: 1864
- Jefferson County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 75 SE C Street, Suite C, Madras, OR 97741
- Phone: 541.475.3317
- Court Records: 1883
- Probate Records: 1881
- Jefferson County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Jefferson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Jefferson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jefferson Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. OR Census Records
Jefferson Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. OR General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. OR Military Records
- Jefferson County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Jefferson County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Jefferson Co. OR Schools & Directories