Harney County, Oregon Facts
Harney County was created on February 25, 1889 from the southern two-thirds of Grant County. This particular county was named in honor of William S. Harney (1800 - 1889), a cavalry officer of the period, who was involved in the Pig War.
The Harney County Seat can be found in Burns plus the county government website is www.co.harney.or.us/
Areas adjoining Harney County happen to be Lake County (west), Deschutes County (northwest), Crook County (northwest), Grant County (north), Malheur County (east), Humboldt County, Nevada (south), Washoe County, Nevada (southwest).
Cities and towns situated in Harney County consists of Burns, Hines.
Harney County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Harney Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Harney County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harney County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Harney County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Harney County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Harney County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Harney County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Harney County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 450 N. Buena Vista, Burns, OR 97720
- Phone: (541) 573-6641
- Marriage Records: 1889
- Land Records: 1871
- Harney County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 450 N. Buena Vista, Burns, OR 97770
- Phone: 541.573.5207
- Court Records: 1889
- Probate Records: 1885
- Harney County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Harney County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harney County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Harney County genealogy or family history related sites.
Harney Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Harney Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Harney Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Harney Co. OR Census Records
Harney Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Harney Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Harney Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Harney Co. OR General and History Websites
Harney Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Oregon Links and Information
- Harney County D.O.T. Map, Sheet [map 1], [map 2], [map 3], [map 4], [map 5], [map 6], [map 7], [map 8], [map 9], [map 10], [map 11]
- 1895 Harney County Map (livgenmi.com)
Harney Co. OR Military Records
- Harney County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Harney County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Harney Co. OR Schools & Directories