Gilliam County, Oregon Facts
Gilliam County was created on February 25, 1885 from the eastern third of Wasco County. This particular county was named in honor of Cornelius Gilliam (1798 - 1848), a pioneer who commanded the forces of the Provisional Government of Oregon after the Whitman Massacre.
The Gilliam County Seat can be found in Condon plus the county government website is www.co.gilliam.or.us/
Areas adjoining Gilliam County happen to be Sherman County (west), Wasco County (southwest), Wheeler County (south), Morrow County (east), Klickitat County, Washington (north).
Cities and towns situated in Gilliam County consists of Arlington, Condon, Lonerock.
Gilliam County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Gilliam Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Gilliam County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Gilliam County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Gilliam County Historical Society, Highway 19 at Burns Park, P.O. Box 377, Condon, Oregon, 97823; (503) 384-4233
- Columbia Gorge Genealogical Society, c/o The Dalles Public Library, 722 Court Street, The Dalles, OR 97058
- Oregon State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Gilliam County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Gilliam County, Oregon Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Gilliam County, Oregon Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Oregon Historical County Records Guide (arcweb.sos.state.or.us)
Gilliam County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Gilliam County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Gilliam County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Gilliam County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Gilliam County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 221 S Oregon St, Condon, OR 97823
- Phone: (541) 384-2311
- Marriage Records: 1885
- Land Records: 1871
- Gilliam County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: PO Box 622, 221 S. Oregon St., Condon, OR 97823
- Phone: 541.384.3572
- Court Records: 1884
- Probate Records: 1859
- Gilliam County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Gilliam County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gilliam County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Gilliam County genealogy or family history related sites.
Gilliam Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gilliam Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gilliam Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gilliam Co. OR Census Records
Gilliam Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gilliam Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Gilliam Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gilliam Co. OR General and History Websites
Gilliam Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gilliam Co. OR Military Records
- Gilliam County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Gilliam County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Gilliam Co. OR Schools & Directories