Clackamas County, Oregon Facts
Clackamas County was created on July 05, 1843 as one of the original four districts of the Oregon Country. This particular county was named for the Clackamas Indians, a Native American tribe living in the area.
The Clackamas County Seat can be found in Oregon City plus the county government website is www.clackamas.us/
Areas adjoining Clackamas County happen to be Polk County (north), Lincoln County (west), Linn County (east), Lane County (south).
Cities and towns situated in Clackamas County consists of Portland (partial), Clackamas, Damascus/Carver, Gladstone, Happy Valley, Jennings Lodge , Johnson City, Lake Oswego, Milwaukie, Oak Grove , Oatfield, Oregon City, Rivergrove, Sunnyside, Tualatin (partial), West Linn, Wilsonville, Barlow, Canby, Estacada, Molalla, Sandy.
Clackamas County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Clackamas Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clackamas Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clackamas Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Clackamas County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clackamas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Clackamas County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Clackamas County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clackamas County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Clackamas County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Clackamas County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 2051 Kaen Road, Oregon City, OR 97045
- Phone: (503) 655-8551
- Marriage Records: 1848
- Land Records: 1850
- Clackamas County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 807 Main Street, Oregon City, OR 97045
- Phone: 503.655.8447
- Court Records: 1844
- Probate Records: 1845
- Clackamas County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Clackamas County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clackamas County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Clackamas County genealogy or family history related sites.
Clackamas Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from Oregon (1816 - 1923) (genealogybank.com) Immediately find names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices and other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added on a monthly basis!
- Morning Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Weekly Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) (search.ancestry.com)
- Clackamas County, Oregon Books (amazon.com)
- Clackamas County Newspapers (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Newspapers (newspaperarchives.com) Research Your Family Tree & Genealogy with over 5,000+ Titles, over 400 Years of news articles in all 50 States!
- Clackamas County Obituaries (usgwarchives.net)
Clackamas Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clackamas Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clackamas Co. OR Census Records
Clackamas Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clackamas Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Clackamas Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clackamas Co. OR General and History Websites
Clackamas Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clackamas Co. OR Military Records
- Clackamas County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Oregon Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Oregon both women and men which served. Ideal for Clackamas County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Clackamas Co. OR Schools & Directories