Canadian County, Oklahoma Facts
Canadian County was founded on May 1890 as an original county (Part of Cheyenne and Arapaho reservation). The county was named for the Canadian River..
The Canadian County Seat is located in El Reno and the county government website is http://www.canadiancounty.org/
Places surrounding Canadian County are Kingfisher County (north), Oklahoma County (east), Cleveland County (southeast), Grady County (south), Caddo County (southwest), Blaine County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Canadian County include Calumet, El Reno, Mustang, Okarche, Piedmont, Union City, Yukon
Canadian County includes Federal Census Schedules to guide in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules exist for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Canadian Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free online in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Canadian County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Canadian County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Canadian County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the importance of Canadian County court, probate, and land documents as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Oklahoma courthouses and archives everywhere could be the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oklahoma citizens.
The possibilities are very good that your chosen forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Canadian County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Make sure you speak to the clerk's office to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or seeking information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Most staff will assist individuals in finding the resources, however it's up to the man or women to carry out the basic research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth, property, probate, and courtroom records are in Canadian County. The dates pointed out below are the first recognized records data in this county. Guide to the Historical Records of Oklahoma, indicates location of county records, including those of tax and assessments.
- Canadian County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 N Choctaw Ave, El Reno, OK 73036
- Phone: (405) 262-1070
- Canadian County Clerk's Office is responsible for preserving all the legal instruments filed by private citizens and public officials with the County Clerk's office. The office maintains files of all real estate records, plats, judgments, liens, patents, military discharges, school records, county personnel, insurance and retirement records for employees, meeting notices, commissioners' proceedings and other documents. Although county clerks record births and deaths and provide information on request, certificates are available only from the Vital Records Section, State Department of Health
- Birth / Death Records: 1908
- Land Records: 1890
- Canadian County Court Clerk's Office has the primary responsibility to record, file, and maintain permanent records of the proceedings of the District Court. We collect fines, fees, and forfeitures, and distribute the collected monies as provided by law to the appropriate agencies. There are numerous types of cases filed with the Court Clerk's Office some of which include: Civil, Small Claims, Probate, Guardianship, Adoption, Felony, Misdemeanor, Search Warrants, Licenses and more...
- Marriage Records: 1890
- Probate Records: 1890
- Court Records: 1890
- Canadian County Tax Assessors Office has the responsibility to appraise and assess the real and personal property within the county for the purpose of ad-valorem taxation. Also, the county assessor is required to compute the ad-valorem taxes due on all the taxable property. By law, the county assessor appraises all the taxable real property according to its fair cash value for which the property is actually being used. The county treasurer or assessor may have tax or assessment records. Some tax records are stored in museums, historical, and/or genealogical societies' repositories.
- Phone: (405) 262-1070x6104
- Oklahoma Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Oklahoma for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Canadian County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Canadian County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Canadian County genealogy or family history related sites.
Canadian Co. OK Books, Newspapers & Publications
Canadian Co. OK Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Canadian Co. OK Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Canadian Co. OK Census Records
Canadian Co. OK Cemeteries & Graveyards
Canadian Co. OK Church & Bible Records
Canadian Co. OK Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Canadian Co. OK General and History Websites
Canadian Co. OK Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Canadian Co. OK Military Records
- Oklahoma Military Records (fold3.com) will provide access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Oklahoma individuals that served. Ideal for Canadian County genealogists, researchers, historians plus much more.
Canadian Co. OK Schools & Directories