Washington County, Ohio Facts
Washington County Facts
- Government Website: www.washingtongov.org/
- Created Date / Origin: July 27, 1788 from Unorganized Land
- County Seat: Marietta
- Named After: George Washington (1732–1799), commander of the Continental Army, president of the Constitutional Convention, and future U.S. President
- Bordering Counties: Noble County (north), Monroe County (northeast), Tyler County, WV (east), Pleasants County, WV (southeast), Wood County, WV (south), Athens County (southwest), Morgan County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Belpre, Marietta, Beverly, Lowell, Lower Salem, Macksburg, Matamoras.
- Townships Include Adams, Aurelius, Barlow, Belpre, Decatur, Dunham, Fairfield, Fearing, Grandview, Independence, Lawrence, Liberty, Ludlow, Marietta, Muskingum, Newport, Palmer, Salem, Warren, Waterford, Watertown, Wesley.
- Other localities Include Barlow, Bartlett, Coal Run, Cutler, Fleming, Germantown, Little Hocking, Newport, Reno, Vincent, Waterford, Watertown, Whipple, Wingett Run, Devola
Washington County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2174, Marietta, OH 45750-2174; Washington County Chapter, OGS meets the third Saturday of each month at St. Luke's Episcopal Church, 320 Second St., Marietta, at 2:00pm. Meetings are open to the public and visitors are always welcome. This OGS Chapter maintains a library with monthly meetings that occur the third Saturday of the month in the Second Congregational Church, Highway 26 in Marietta.
- Washington Co Historical Society and Archives, P. O. Box 103, Marietta, OH 45750-0103; (740) 373-1788; Phone: (740) 373-1788; The Washington County Historical Society maintains the Fearing House Museum that houses furnishings dating from the 1860s-1890s. The Society's library, located at 417 Second Street in Marietta, contains collections of manuscripts, periodicals, books, maps, and documents pertaining to Washington County. The Society has recently acquired a historic home that it is currently being rehabilitated to serve as the Society's home.
- Washington County Public Library Local History and Genealogy Services, 418 Washington St., Marietta, OH 45750-1992; 740-376-2172, fax 740-376-2175
- Belpre Historical Society, PO Box 731, Belpre, OH 45714-0731; Phone: (740) 423-7588; The Belpre Historical Society Museum Education Center collects Belpre area artifacts, archival and genealogy information. Host's history related programs/workshops for regular and special meetings. Items of interest c.1840 restored C-spring carriage, c. 1876 Parlor, Southeastern Ohio Underground Railroad Exhibit by Henry Burke.
- Campus Martius/Ohio River Museum, 601 2nd St, Marietta, OH 45750-2122; Phone: (800) 860-0145; The Campus Martius and Ohio River Museums are sites of the Ohio Historical Society. Campus Martius deals with the settlement of Marietta, the late 19th century movement of farmers to the cities, and Appalachian people into Ohio's industrial centers. The Ohio River Museum deals with all aspects of United States inland river heritage, especially the history of steamboats.
- Lower Muskingum Historical Society, PO Box 525, Beverly, OH 45715; Phone: (740) 984-4250; The Lower Muskingum Historical Society's collection includes spinning wheels, dolls, organs, and the contents of a doctor's office. The property includes an original 1800s Log Cabin and a new barn with farm equipment, tools, a forge, and an anvil.
- Matamoras Area Historical Society Inc, PO Box 1846, New Matamoras, OH 45767-0186; Phone: (740) 865-3706; The Matamoras Area Historical Society maintains a museum that reflects the history of the European-American settlers who first arrived in the Grandview Township area in 1790.
- Washington County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Washington County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Washington County
- Washington County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Washington County
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Washington County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Washington County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 205 Putnam St., Marietta 45750-3017
- Phone: (740) 373-6623
- Washington County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 373-6623 Ext. 253
- Marriage Records: 1789
- Probate Records: 1789
- Washington County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (740) 373-6623
- Land Records: 1788
- Washington County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740)373-6623
- Court Records: 1790
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Washington County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Washington County genealogy or family history related sites.
Washington Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Washington Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Washington Co. OH Census Records
Washington Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Washington Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Washington Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. OH General and History Websites
Washington Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Washington Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. OH Military Records
- Washington County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Washington County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.