Vinton County, Ohio Facts
Vinton County Facts
- Government Website: www.vintoncounty.com/
- Created Date / Origin: March 23, 1850 from Gallia County, Athens County, Ross County, Jackson County and Hocking County
- County Seat: McArthur
- Named After: Samuel Finley Vinton (1792-1862), Ohio Statesman and U.S. Congressman
- Bordering Counties: Hocking County (north), Athens County (northeast), Meigs County (east), Gallia County (southeast), Jackson County (south), Ross County (west)
- Municipalities Include Hamden, McArthur, Wilkesville and Zaleski.
- Townships Include Brown, Clinton, Eagle, Elk, Harrison, Jackson, Knox, Madison, Richland, Swan, Vinton and Wilkesville.
- Other localities Include Creola, New Plymouth and Ray
Vinton County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Vinton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Vinton County Historical & Genealogical Society, OGS, PO Box 306, Hamden, OH 45634-0306; Phone: (740) 596-0253; Vinton County Chapter, OGS meets at Alice's House, 207 S. Sugar, McArthur, the second Sunday of the month at 1:30pm. The public is invited to attend. The Vinton County Historical and Genealogical Society's scope if local, pertaining to the history of Vinton County and Southeast Ohio. It operates the Homer C. Pierce Genealogical Library as part of the Vinton County Historical Museum.
- Vinton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Vinton County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Vinton County
- Vinton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Vinton County
Vinton County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Vinton County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Vinton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Vinton County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Vinton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E., Main St, McArthur 45651
- Phone: (740) 596-5480
- Vinton County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-596-5480
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Probate Records: 1852
- Vinton County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-596-4571
- Land Records: 1850
- Vinton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-596-4319
- Court Records: 1850
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Vinton County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Vinton County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Vinton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Vinton Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Vinton Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Vinton Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Vinton Co. OH Census Records
Vinton Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Vinton Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Vinton Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Vinton Co. OH General and History Websites
Vinton Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Vinton Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Vinton Co. OH Military Records
- Vinton County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Vinton County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.