Van Wert County, Ohio Facts
Van Wert County Facts
- Government Website:/www.vanwertcounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1820 from Darke County, Shelby County and Mercer County (Organized in 1837)
- County Seat: Van Wert
- Named After: Isaac Van Wart (1760-1828), captor of spy John André during the Revolutionary War
- Bordering Counties: Paulding County (north), Putnam County (northeast), Allen County (east), Auglaize County (southeast), Mercer County (south), Adams County, IN (southwest), Allen County, IN (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Delphos, Van Wert, Convoy, Elgin, Middle Point, Ohio City, Scott, Venedocia, Willshire, Wren.
- Townships Include Harrison, Hoaglin, Jackson, Jennings, Liberty, Pleasant, Ridge, Tully, Union, Washington, Willshire, York.. Other localities Include Glenmore, Vinton, Hamden, McArthur, Wilkesville, Zaleski. Townships Include Brown, Clinton, Eagle, Elk, Harrison, Jackson, Knox, Madison, Richland, Swan, Vinton, Wilkesville.
- Other localities Include Creola, New Plymouth, Ray
Van Wert County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Van Wert County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Van Wert County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 485, Van Wert, OH 45891-0485; Phone: (419) 238-6684; Van Wert County Chapter, OGS meets at the Council on Aging Building, 717 E. Crawford St., Van Wert, OH on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm, except January, July, and December. While the primary focus of this OGS Chapter is on genealogy, it also works together with the historical society. All of the Chapter's research material is located in the genealogy department of the Brumback Library.
- Van Wert County Historical Society, PO Box 621, Van Wert, OH 45891-0621; Phone: (419) 771-9851; The Van Wert County Historical Society maintains four buildings and a railroad caboose, bandstand, and railroad work car. The buildings include a Victorian mansion, two-story log house, one-room schoolhouse, and an annex, housing military materials and items relating to the history of the county. It hosts a July 4 "Holiday at Home" craft show and a Victorian Feast at Christmas.
- Wren Historical Society , 3729 Convoy Rd, Convoy, OH 45832-9505; The Wren Historical Society restored the 1909 one-room Hurless School and moved it to its present site in 1991. Open to the public from 1993 the former school has its original slate blackboards and displays its books and equipment.
- Van Wert County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Van Wert County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Van Wert County
- Van Wert County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Van Wert County
Van Wert County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Van Wert County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Van Wert County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Van Wert County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Van Wert County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 E., Main St., Van Wert 45891
- Phone: (419) 238-6159
- Van Wert County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: ?
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1840
- Van Wert County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (419) 238-2558
- Land Records: 1824
- Van Wert County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: P. O. Box 366, 121 E. Main Street, 3rd Fl., Van Wert, OH 45891
- Phone: 419-238-1022
- Court Records: 1837
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Van Wert County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Van Wert County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Van Wert County genealogy or family history related sites.
Van Wert Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Van Wert Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Van Wert Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Van Wert Co. OH Census Records
Van Wert Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Van Wert Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Van Wert Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Van Wert Co. OH General and History Websites
Van Wert Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Van Wert Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Van Wert Co. OH Military Records
- Van Wert County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Van Wert County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.