Union County, Ohio Facts
Union County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.union.oh.us
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1820 from Delaware County, Franklin County, Logan County and Madison County
- County Seat: Marysville
- Named After: Named as such due to it formed by a union of four counties
- Bordering Counties: Marion County (northeast), Delaware County (east), Franklin County (southeast), Madison County (south), Champaign County (southwest), Logan County (west), Hardin County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Dublin, Marysville, Magnetic Springs, Milford Center, Plain City, Richwood, Unionville Center.
- Townships Include Allen, Claibourne, Darby, Dover, Jackson, Jerome, Leesburg, Liberty, Millcreek, Paris, Taylor, Union, Washington, York.
- Other localities Include Broadway, Chuckery, Irwin, New California, Raymond
Union County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Union County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Union County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 438, Marysville, OH 43040-0438; Phone: (937) 642-1876; Union County Chapter, OGS meets in the lower level Meeting Room at the Public Library, 231 S. Plum St., Marysville, OH at 7:00pm on the third Tuesday of the month, except in December. This OGS Chapter preserves historical records of Union County and related areas. The group publishes materials compiled by the Chapter and collects genealogical data for Marysville, Richwood, and Plain City local libraries.
- Union County Historical Society , PO Box 303, Marysville, OH 43040-0303; Phone: (937) 642-1972; The Union County Historical Society and Museum specialize in collecting and exhibiting Union County history.
- Raymond-Newton Historical Society, 23387 Dayton Ave, Raymond, OH 43067-9701; Phone: (937) 246-3641; The Raymond-Newton Historical Society collects and presents the local history of the area. It has published four books about the community.
- Union County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Union County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Union County
- Union County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Union County
Union County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Union County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Union County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Union County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Union County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 215 West Fifth Street, Marysville, Ohio 43040
- Phone: (937) 645-3012
- Union County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 128 S. Main Street, Marysville, Ohio 43040
- Phone: 937-645-3029
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Probate Records: 1820
- Union County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 1st Floor, County Office Building, 233 West Sixth Street, Marysville
- Phone: 937-645-3032
- Land Records: 1811
- Union County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 937.645.3015
- Court Records: 1820
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Union County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Union County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Union County genealogy or family history related sites.
Union Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Union Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Union Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Union Co. OH Census Records
Union Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Union Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Union Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Union Co. OH General and History Websites
Union Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Union Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Union Co. OH Military Records