Ross County, Ohio Facts
Ross County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.ross.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: August 20, 1798 from Adams County, Hamilton County and Washington County
- County Seat: Chillicothe
- Named After: Named for U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania James Ross by territorial governor Arthur St. Clair
- Bordering Counties: Pickaway County (north), Hocking County (northeast), Vinton County (east), Jackson County (southeast), Pike County (south), Highland County (southwest), Fayette County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Chillicothe, Adelphi, Bainbridge, Clarksburg, Frankfort, Kingston, South Salem.
- Townships Include Buckskin, Colerain, Concord, Deerfield, Franklin, Green, Harrison, Huntington, Jefferson, Liberty, Paint, Paxton, Scioto, Springfield, Twin, Union.
- Other localities Include Bourneville, Denver, Hallsville, Knockemstiff, Londonderry, Richmond Dale, North Fork Village
Ross County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ross County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ross County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 6352, Chillicothe, OH 45601-6352; Phone: (740) 773-2715; Ross County Chapter, OGS meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30pm at the RCGS Office/Library, 444 Douglas Ave., Chillicothe, OH. Annual dinner meeting is held in June. The Ross County Genealogical Society promotes genealogy and historical research. The library has records of Ross County, cemeteries, marriages, census microfilm, and numerous books on other states as well as genealogical information.
- Ross County Historical Society, 45 W 5th St, Chillicothe, OH 45601-3227; Phone: (740) 772-1936; The Ross County Historical Society operates the Ross County Museum, Knoles Log Home, Franklin House Women's Museum, and the McKell Library. Exhibits interpret Ross County's history from prehistoric Indian cultures through the recent past.
- Adena State Memorial-OHS, PO Box 831, Chillicothe, OH 45601-0831; Phone: (800) 319-7248; Adena State Memorial, a site of the Ohio Historical Society, is the restored home of Thomas Worthington, the 6th governor of Ohio and the first U.S. Senator from Ohio. The house was completed in 1807 and is furnished with antiques of that period. In addition to the mansion house, there are 5 outbuildings, a garden and a visitor center.
- Bainbridge Historical Society, PO Box 424, Bainbridge, OH 45612-0424;
- Frankfort Area Historical Society, Inc., PO Box 117, Frankfort, OH 45628-0117
- Scioto Society Inc, PO Box 73, Chillicothe, OH 45601-0073; Phone: (740) 775-4100; The Scioto Society produces the Midwest's most popular outdoor drama, depicting the life of the legendary leader Tecumseh.
- Ross County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ross County
- Ross County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ross County
Ross County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Ross County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Ross County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Ross County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Ross County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 N., Paint St., Chillicothe 45601
- Phone: (740) 774-1179
- Ross County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 774-1177 or (740) 774-1179
- Marriage Records: 1798
- Probate Records: 1797
- Ross County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-702-3000
- Land Records: 1797
- Ross County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-702-3010
- Court Records: 1798
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ross County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ross County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Ross County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ross Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ross Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ross Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ross Co. OH Census Records
Ross Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ross Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Ross Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ross Co. OH General and History Websites
- Ross County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- A Standard history of Ross County, Ohio : an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in th (search.ancestry.com)
- The county of Ross : a history of Ross County, Ohio, from the earliest days, with special chapters on the bench and bar, medica (search.ancestry.com)
- The great fire : Chillicothe, Ohio, 1852 (search.ancestry.com)
- Chillicothe reminiscences, 1811 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ross County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Ross County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Ross Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Ross County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Ross County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Ross (cyndislist.com)
- Ross Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Ross County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Ross Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Ross Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Ross Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ross Co. OH Military Records
- Ross County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Ross County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.