Putnam County, Ohio Facts
Putnam County Facts
- Government Website: www.putnamcountyohio.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1820 from Shelby County, Logan County, Wood County and Williams County
- County Seat: Ottawa
- Named After: General Israel Putnam (1718–1790), a Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Henry County (north), Hancock County (east), Allen County (south), Van Wert County (southwest), Paulding County (west), Defiance County (northwest), Wood County (northeast)
- Municipalities Include Putnam, Belmore, Cloverdale, Columbus Grove, Continental, Dupont, Ft. Jennings, Gilboa, Glandorf, Kalida, Leipsic, Miller City, Ottawa, Ottoville, Pandora, West Leipsic.
- Townships Include Blanchard, Greensburg, Jackson, Jennings, Liberty, Monroe, Monterey, Ottawa, Palmer, Perry, Pleasant, Riley, Sugar Creek, Union, Van Buren.
- Other localities Include Rimer, Vaughnsville
Putnam County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Putnam County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Putnam County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 403, Ottawa, OH 45875-0403; Putnam County Chapter, OGS has meetings on the fourth Tuesday of every month except July, August and December at 6:30pm at the Putnam County District Library, Ottawa, OH in the local history room. This OGS Chapter provides county research assistance to all interested in genealogical research of Putnam County.
- Putnam County Historical Society, 201 E Main St, PO Box 264, Kalida, OH 45853-0264; Phone: (419) 532-3180; The Putnam County Historical Society discovers and preserves historical materials and artifacts and disseminates information concerning the history of Putnam County.
- Swiss Community Historical Society, 3096 Road Q, Pandora, OH 45877; Phone: (419) 384-3412; The Swiss Community Historical Society records and preserves the history of the Swiss community in Bluffton and Pandora and the surrounding area. The Schumacher Homestead contains early home furnishings, equipment, and articles manufactured in the area.
- Putnam County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Putnam County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Putnam County
- Putnam County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Putnam County
Putnam County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Putnam County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Putnam County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Putnam county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Early records from 1820-1834 may be located in Wood and Williams Counties.
- Putnam County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 245 Main St., Ottawa 45875-1968
- Phone: (419) 523-3656
- Putnam County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 523-3012
- Marriage Records: 1834
- Probate Records: 1835
- Putnam County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-523-6490
- Land Records: 1830
- Putnam County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-523-3110
- Court Records: 1834
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Putnam County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Putnam County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Putnam County genealogy or family history related sites.
Putnam Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Putnam Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Putnam Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Putnam Co. OH Census Records
Putnam Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Putnam Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Putnam Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Putnam Co. OH General and History Websites
Putnam Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Putnam Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Putnam Co. OH Military Records
- Putnam County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Putnam County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.