Pike County, Ohio Facts
Pike County Facts
- Government Website: www.pike-co.org/
- Created Date / Origin: February 1, 1815 from Adams County, Ross County and Scioto County
- County Seat: Waverly
- Named After: General Zebulon M. Pike (1779–1813), a Revolutionary War officer and discoverer of Pikes Peak in Colorado in 1806
- Bordering Counties: Ross County (north), Jackson County (east), Scioto County (south), Adams County (southwest), Highland County (west)
- Municipalities Include Beaver, Piketon, Waverly.
- Townships Include Beaver, Benton, Camp Creek, Jackson, Marion, Mifflin, Newton, Pebble, Pee Pee, Perry, Scioto, Seal, Sunfish and Union.
- Other localities Include Cynthiana, Jasper, Latham, Morgantown, Stockdale and Wakefield
Pike County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pike County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pike County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 224, Waverly, OH 45690-0224; Phone: (740) 947-2927; Pike County Chapter, OGS meets the third Saturday of each month at 1:30 pm at the Garnet Wilson Public Library, corner of Market Street and Emmitt Avenues, Waverly, OH. This OGS Chapter copies and publishes Pike County cemetery records and additional early records of the county. The Chapter contributes to the Pike County History Room at the Garnet A. Wilson Public Library of Pike County (see separate listing).
- Beaver Valley Historical Society, PO Box 105, Beaver, OH 45613-0105; Phone: (740) 226-1085
- Pike Heritage Museum, 110 S Market St, Waverly, OH 45690-1317; Phone: (740) 947-5281; The Pike Heritage Foundation maintains the Heritage Museum, located in the former German Evangelical Church built in 1859. The Museum features displays of the canal era and early railroads. Featured exhibits include a fire pumper, a fringe topped surrey, and a restored 1917 pipe organ.
- Pike County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Pike County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pike County
- Pike County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pike County
Pike County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Pike County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Pike County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Pike County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Pike County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E., 2nd, Waverly 45690-1301
- Phone: (740) 947-2715
- Pike County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone:(740) 947-2560
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Probate Records: 1817
- Pike County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 230 Waverly Plaza Ste 500, Waverly, OH 45690
- Phone: 740-947-2622
- Land Records: 1799
- Pike County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-947-2715
- Court Records: 1815
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Pike County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pike County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Pike County genealogy or family history related sites.
Pike Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pike Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pike Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pike Co. OH Census Records
Pike Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pike Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Pike Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pike Co. OH General and History Websites
Pike Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Pike Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pike Co. OH Military Records
- Pike County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Pike County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.