Pickaway County, Ohio Facts
Pickaway County Facts
- Government Website: www.pickaway.org/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1810 from Fairfield County, Franklin County and Ross County
- County Seat: Circleville
- Named After: A misspelling of the Piqua tribe, a branch of the Shawnee or A variant of a Native American word "Piqua"
- Bordering Counties: Franklin County (north), Fairfield County (east), Hocking County (southeast), Ross County (south), Fayette County (southwest), Madison County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Circleville, Ashville, Commercial Point, Darbyville, Harrisburg, New Holland, Orient, South Bloomfield, Tarlton, Williamsport. Townships Include Circleville, Darby, Deer Creek, Harrison, Jackson, Madison, Monroe, Muhlenberg, Perry, Pickaway, Salt Creek, Scioto, Walnut, Washington, Wayne. Other localities Include Include Derby, Logan Elm Village. Other localities Include Cynthiana, Jasper, Latham, Morgantown, Stockdale, Wakefield, Pike, Beaver, Piketon, Waverly. Townships Include Beaver, Benton, Camp Creek, Jackson, Marion, Mifflin, Newton, Pebble, Pee Pee, Perry, Scioto, Seal, Sunfish, Union.
Pickaway County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Pickaway County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pickaway County Hist & Genealogical Society, OGS, PO Box 85, Circleville, OH 43113; Phone: (740) 474-1495; Pickaway County Chapter, OGS meets the last Friday of each month at 10:30am at the Moore House, 304 South Court Street, Circleville, OH. Meetings are open to the public. The Pickaway County Historical Society operates a museum consisting of nine rooms. Its collection includes Native American artifacts, war mementos, furniture, costumes, local maps, prehistoric earthworks, china, glass, and silver. The Society provides tours for the schoolchildren of the community.
- Ashville Area Heritage Society, 34 Long St, Ashville, OH 43103-1309; Phone: (740) 983-9864; The Ashville Area Heritage Society maintains the Ashville Area Heritage Museum that interprets the history of those who lived in the railroad community.
- Pickaway County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Pickaway County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pickaway County
- Pickaway County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pickaway County
Pickaway County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Pickaway County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Pickaway County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Pickaway County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Pickaway County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 207 S Court Street , Circleville 43113
- Phone: (740) 474-6093
- Pickaway County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1810
- Pickaway County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-474-5826
- Land Records: 1810
- Pickaway County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 474-6026
- Court Records: 1810
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Pickaway County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pickaway County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Pickaway County genealogy or family history related sites.
Pickaway Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Pickaway Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Pickaway Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Pickaway Co. OH Census Records
Pickaway Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Pickaway Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Pickaway Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Pickaway Co. OH General and History Websites
Pickaway Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Pickaway Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Pickaway Co. OH Military Records
- Pickaway County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Pickaway County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.