Ottawa County, Ohio Facts
Ottawa County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.ottawa.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: March 6, 1840 from Erie County, Lucas County and Sandusky County
- County Seat: Port Clinton
- Named After: Named for the Ottawa Indians; Ottawa means "trader" in their language
- Bordering Counties: Ontario, Canada (north and east), Erie County (southeast), Sandusky County (south), Wood County (west), Lucas County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Port Clinton, Clay Center, Elmore, Genoa, Marblehead, Oak Harbor, Put-in-Bay, Rocky Ridge.
- Townships Include Allen, Bay, Benton, Carroll, Catawba Island, Clay, Danbury, Erie, Harris, Portage, Put-in-Bay, Salem.
- Other localities Include Curtice, Forest Park, Graytown, Gypsum, Isle St. George, Lacarne, Lakeside, Martin, Williston
Ottawa County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Ottawa County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ottawa County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 193, Port Clinton, OH 43452-0193; Phone: (419) 898-0850; Ottawa County Chapter, OGS generally meets on the third Tuesday of each month (except July-none and August-picnic) at 7:00pm at the Community Room of the Ida Rupp Public Library, 310 Madison St., Port Clinton. This OGS Chapter meets monthly at the Ida Rupp Public Library.
- Ottawa County Historical Society, PO Box 385, Port Clinton, OH 43452-0385; Phone: (419) 836-7449; The Ottawa County Historical Society restored the circa 1820 residence of Benajah and Rachael Wolcott, called the Keeper's House. Slide presentations on Ottawa County history are available as well as the monthly open house and activities.
- Elmore Historical Society, PO Box 154, Elmore, OH 43416-0154; Phone: (419) 862-3552; The Elmore Historical Society is renovating the Elmore Depot using funds raised from the Portage River Festival.
- Lake Erie Islands Historical Society, PO Box 25, 441 Delaware Ave, Put-in-Bay, OH 43456-0025; Phone: (419) 285-2804; The Lake Erie Islands Historical Society has a 6,000 sq. ft. building, with local history vineyards, wineries, and hostels. The Battle of Lake ship model collection tracing the development of shipping on the Great Lakes from 1600-2000. They also have Interlakes Regatta Assn. Trophies and photos from 1885, a research library, archives, and genealogy data on island families.
- Lakeside Heritage Society Inc, 324 W 3rd St, Lakeside, OH 43440-1471; Phone: (419) 798-5519; The Lakeside Heritage Society preserves the history of the area. Its archives house books, photographs, maps, documents, pamphlets, and clippings of Lakeside and the Marblehead Peninsula. A collection of artifacts found at the Civil War prison on Johnson's Island is on display.
- Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society, PO Box 144, Marblehead, OH 43440-0144; Phone: (419) 798-2094;
- Ottawa County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Ottawa County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ottawa County
- Ottawa County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ottawa County
Ottawa County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Ottawa County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Ottawa County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Ottawa County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Ottawa County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 315 Madison St., Port Clinton 43452-1993
- Phone: (419) 734-6710
- Ottawa County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-734-6830
- Marriage Records: 1840
- Probate Records: 1840
- Ottawa County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-734-6730
- Land Records: 1820
- Ottawa County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 734-6755
- Court Records: 1840
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Ottawa County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ottawa County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Ottawa County genealogy or family history related sites.
Ottawa Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ottawa Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Ottawa Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Ottawa Co. OH Census Records
Ottawa Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Ottawa Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Ottawa Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ottawa Co. OH General and History Websites
Ottawa Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Ottawa Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ottawa Co. OH Military Records
- Ottawa County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Ottawa County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.