Noble County, Ohio Facts
Noble County Facts
- Government Website: www.noblecountyohio.com/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1851 from Guernsey County, Monroe County, Morgan County and Washington County
- County Seat: Caldwell
- Named After: James Noble (1785–1831), an early settler and future U.S. Senator from Indiana
- Bordering Counties: Guernsey County (north), Belmont County (northeast), Monroe County (east), Washington County (south), Morgan County (west), Muskingum County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Batesville, Belle Valley, Caldwell, Dexter City, Sarahsville, Summerfield.
- Townships Include Beaver, Brookfield, Buffalo, Center, Elk, Enoch, Jackson, Jefferson, Marion, Noble, Olive, Seneca, Sharon, Stock, Wayne.
- Other localities Include Ava, East Union, Harriettsville
Noble County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Noble County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Noble County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 174, Caldwell, OH 43724-0174, Phone: 740-732-4506; meets at the Caldwell Public Library Annex, North St., Caldwell, Ohio the third Sat. of the month. This OGS Chapter preserves genealogical information for Noble Couty newspapers, cemetery records, and family history records donated by individuals to the Caldwell Public Library.
- Noble County Historical Society, PO Box 128, Caldwell, OH 43724-0128; Phone: (740) 732-5288; The Noble County Historical Society's Heritage Park is located in the Noble County Fairgrounds and has a relocated log cabin, one room schoolhouse, church and covered bridge in a lovely wooded setting. It is open during the Soakum Festival on the last weekend of September and otherwise by special arrangements. The Noble County Jail-Jailers residence (1882) is in the process of being restored to become a museum for the county.
- Noble County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Noble County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Noble County
- Noble County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Noble County
Noble County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Noble County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Noble County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Noble County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Noble County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 260 Courthouse, Caldwell 43724-0000
- Phone: (740) 732-2969
- Noble County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 614-732-5047
- Marriage Records: 1851
- Probate Records: 1851
- Noble County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-732-4319
- Land Records: 1851
- Noble County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 350 Courthouse, Caldwell, OH 43724
- Phone: 740-732-4408
- Court Records: 1851
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Noble County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Noble County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Noble County genealogy or family history related sites.
Noble Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Noble Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Noble Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Noble Co. OH Census Records
Noble Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Noble Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Noble Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Noble Co. OH General and History Websites
Noble Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Noble Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Noble Co. OH Military Records
- Noble County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Noble County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.