Muskingum County, Ohio Facts
Muskingum County Facts
- Government Website: www.muskingumcounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1803 from Fairfield County and Washington County
- County Seat: Zanesville
- Named After: A Native American word meaning "A town by the river" or a Native American word meaning "by the river side"
- Bordering Counties: Coshocton County (north), Guernsey County (east), Noble County (southeast), Morgan County (south), Perry County (southwest), Licking County (west)
- Municipalities Include Zanesville, Adamsville, Dresden, Frazeysburg, Fultonham, Gratiot, New Concord, Norwich, Philo, Roseville, South Zanesville.
- Townships Include Adams, Blue Rock, Brush Creek, Cass, Clay, Falls, Harrison, Highland, Hopewell, Jackson, Jefferson, Licking, Madison, Meigs, Monroe, Muskingum, Newton, Perry, Rich Hill, Salem, Salt Creek, Springfield, Union, Washington, Wayne.
- Other localities Include Adams Mills, Blue Rock, Chandlersville, Duncan Falls, East Fultonham, Hopewell, Nashport, Trinway, White Cottage, North Zanesville, Pleasant Grove.
Muskingum County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Muskingum County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Muskingum County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2427, Zanesville, OH 43702; Muskingum County Chapter, OGS meets the third Thursday of the month (except December) at 6:00pm at the John McIntire Library, 220 N. Fifth St., Zanesville.
- Lower Muskingum Historical Society, PO Box 525, Beverly, OH 45715; Phone: (740) 984-4250; The Lower Muskingum Historical Society's collection includes spinning wheels, dolls, organs, and the contents of a doctor's office. The property includes an original 1800s Log Cabin and a new barn with farm equipment, tools, a forge, and an anvil.
- Pioneer & Historical Society of Muskingum Cty, 115 Jefferson St, Zanesville, OH 43701-4940; Phone: (740) 454-9500; The Pioneer & Historical Society of Muskingum County has a collection of local artifacts, including early documents, clothing, fine art, furniture, locally made glass and pottery, and everyday objects used by area pioneer settlers. The Stone Academy contains exhibits on abolition, the Underground Railroad and actress-author Elizabeth Robins.
- Muskingum County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Muskingum County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Muskingum County
- Muskingum County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Muskingum County
Muskingum County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Muskingum County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Muskingum County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Muskingum County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Muskingum County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 401 Main St., Zanesville 43702-0000
- Phone: (740) 455-7100
- Muskingum County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 455-7113
- Marriage Records: 1804
- Probate Records: 1804
- Muskingum County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (740) 455-7107
- Land Records: 1800
- Muskingum County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-455-7104
- Court Records: 1804
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Muskingum County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Muskingum County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Muskingum County genealogy or family history related sites.
Muskingum Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Muskingum Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Muskingum Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Muskingum Co. OH Census Records
Muskingum Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Muskingum Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Muskingum Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Muskingum Co. OH General and History Websites
Muskingum Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Muskingum Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Muskingum Co. OH Military Records
- Muskingum County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Muskingum County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
AlpineMuskingum Co. OH Schools & Directories