Morgan County, Ohio Facts
Morgan County Facts
- Government Website: www.morgancounty-oh.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: December 29, 1817 from Guernsey County, Muskingum County and Washington County (Organized in 1819)
- County Seat: McConnelsville
- Named After: General Daniel Morgan (c.1735–1802), a Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Muskingum County (north), Noble County (northeast), Washington County (southeast), Athens County (southwest), Perry County (west)
- Municipalities Include Chesterhill, Malta, McConnelsville, Stockport.
- Townships Include Bloom, Bristol, Center, Deerfield, Homer, Malta, Manchester, Marion, Meigsville, Morgan, Penn, Union, Windsor, York..
- Other localities Include Include Rose Farm
Morgan County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 418, McConnelsville, OH 43756-0418; Phone: (937) 228-6271; Morgan County Chapter, OGS meets the third Tuesday of February, May, August, and November at 7:30 p.m. at the Kate Love Simpson Library, 358 E Main Street in McConnelsville.This OGS Chapter copies court, cemetery, and census records. Some are printed and offered for sale while some are maintained in the Kate Love Simpson Library for visitor research.
- Morgan County Historical Society, PO Box 524, McConnelsville, OH 43756-0524; Phone: (740) 962-4785; The Morgan County Historical Society maintains the Button House and our new museum. The Society's holdings include the Howard Chandler Christy art collection, doll, quilt, and furniture collections, and gun and tool collections exhibited in the museum, a post and beam wagon shed, a blacksmith shop, and a local commercial building.
- Morgan Township Historical Society, PO Box 20, Shandon, OH 45063-0020; Phone: (513) 738-0910; The Morgan Township Historical Society provides programs of local and national historical interest. They collect and preserve photographs and records of the people, churches, schools, business, historical structures, and organizations in the Okeana and Shandon area.
- Morgan County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Morgan County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Morgan County
Morgan County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Morgan County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Morgan County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Morgan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 19 E. Main St., McConnelsville 43756-1172
- Phone: (740) 962-4752
- Morgan County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-962-2861
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Probate Records: 1819
- Morgan County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 155 E Main St Room 160, McConnelsville, OH 43756
- Phone: 740-962-4051
- Land Records: 1795
- Morgan County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-962-4752
- Court Records: 1819
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Morgan County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morgan County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Morgan County genealogy or family history related sites.
Morgan Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Morgan Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Morgan Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Morgan Co. OH Census Records
Morgan Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Morgan Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Morgan Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Morgan Co. OH General and History Websites
Morgan Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Morgan Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Morgan Co. OH Military Records
- Morgan County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Morgan County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.