Montgomery County, Ohio Facts
Montgomery County Facts
- Government Website: www.mcohio.org/
- Created Date / Origin: May 1, 1803 from Hamilton County
- County Seat: Dayton
- Named After: General Richard Montgomery (1738-1775), a Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Miami County (north), Clark County (northeast), Greene County (east), Warren County (south), Butler County (southwest), Preble County (west), Darke County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Brookville, Carlisle, Centerville, Clayton, Dayton, Englewood, Huber Heights, Kettering, Miamisburg, Moraine, Oakwood, Riverside, Springboro, Trotwood, Union, Vandalia, West Carrollton, Farmersville, Germantown, New Lebanon, Phillipsburg, Verona.
- Townships Include Butler, Clay, German, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Miami, Perry, Washington.
- Other localities Include Include Clayton, Pyrmont, Drexel, Fort McKinley, Northridge, Shiloh, Woodbourne-Hyde Park, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base..
Montgomery County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Montgomery County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Montgomery County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1584, Dayton, OH 45401-1584; Phone: (937) 279-0385; Montgomery County Chapter, OGS meets at the Dayton Metro Library, at 215 E. Third St., Dayton, Ohio on the second Saturday of each month at 1:30pm. This OGS Chapter conducts genealogical "How To" seminars and publishes cemetery books. Meetings are held the second Saturday of the month.
- Montgomery County Records Center & Archives, 117 S. Main Street, 6th Floor, P. O. Box 972, Dayton, Ohio 45422
- Belmont Historical Society
- Brookville Historical Society
- Centerville-Washington Township H S
- Dayton History
- Dayton History at the Archive Center
- Dayton Police History Foundation, Inc.
- Farmersville Historical Society
- Historical Society of Germantown
- Jewish Genealogical Society of Dayton
- Kettering-Moraine Museum & Historical Society
- Miami Valley Archives Roundtable
- Miamisburg Historical Society
- Oakwood Historical Society
- Oregon Historic District Society Inc
- Riverside Historical Society
- Society of Ohio Archivists
- Trotwood-Madison Historical Society
- Vandalia-Butler Historical Society
- West Carrollton Historical Society
- Montgomery County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Montgomery County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Montgomery County
- Montgomery County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Montgomery County
Montgomery County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Montgomery County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Montgomery County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Montgomery County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Montgomery County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 451 W. 3rd St., Dayton 45422-0001
- Phone: (937) 225-4000
- Montgomery County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 41 N. Perry St., Dayton, Ohio 45422-2155
- Phone: 937-225-4640
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1803
- Montgomery County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (937) 225-4275
- Land Records: 1805
- Montgomery County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 41 North Perry Street, Dayton, Ohio 45402-1431
- Phone: 937-225-6000
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Montgomery County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Montgomery County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Montgomery County genealogy or family history related sites.
Montgomery Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Montgomery Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Montgomery Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Montgomery Co. OH Census Records
Montgomery Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Montgomery Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Montgomery Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Montgomery Co. OH General and History Websites
Montgomery Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Montgomery Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Montgomery Co. OH Military Records
AlpineMontgomery Co. OH Schools & Directories