Monroe County, Ohio Facts
Monroe County Facts
- Government Website: www.monroecountyohio.com/
- Created Date / Origin: January 29, 1813 from Belmont County (Organized in 1815)
- County Seat: Woodsfield
- Named After: James Monroe (1758-1831), Secretary of State when the county was organized and future U.S. President
- Bordering Counties: Belmont County (north), Marshall County, WV (northeast), Wetzel County, WV (east), Tyler County, WV (southeast), Washington County (south), Noble County (west)
- Municipalities Include Antioch, Beallsville, Clarington, Graysville, Jerusalem, Lewisville, Miltonsburg, Stafford, Wilson, Woodsfield.
- Townships Include Adams, Benton, Bethel, Center, Franklin, Green, Jackson, Lee, Malaga, Ohio, Perry, Salem, Seneca, Summit, Sunsbury, Switzerland, Washington, Wayne.
- Other localities Include Cameron, Hannibal, Laings, Malaga, Rinard Mills, Sardis, Sycamore Valley
Monroe County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Monroe County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Monroe County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 641, Woodsfield, OH 43793-0641; Phone: (740) 483-1481; Monroe County Chapter, OGS meets the third Sunday of every month (except December) at 2:00pm in the Conference Room of the Monroe County District Library, 96 Home Avenue, Woodsfield, OH. This OGS Chapter promotes and preserves the genealogical heritage of Monroe County. It sponsors speakers on genealogical and local historical subjects at its monthly meetings and maintains a research room at the Monroe County District Library.
- Monroe County Historical Society, PO Box 538, Woodsfield, OH 43793-0538; Phone: (740) 472-1933; The Monroe County Historical Society maintains the 1850s Parry House as its museum that depicts the lifestyle practiced during the Monroe County oil boom days. The Parry Museum, along with the Dairy Museum and a one-room stone schoolhouse, are located within the Monroe County Park District from which they are leased.
- Monroe County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Monroe County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Monroe County
- Monroe County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Monroe County
Monroe County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Monroe County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Monroe County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Monroe County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Monroe County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 N. Main St., Woodsfield 43793-1097
- Phone: (740) 472-0873
- Monroe County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 472-1654
- Marriage Records: 1866
- Probate Records: 1840
- Monroe County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-472-5264
- Land Records: 1836
- Monroe County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 472-0841
- Court Records: 1818
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Monroe County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Monroe County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Monroe County genealogy or family history related sites.
Monroe Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Monroe Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Monroe Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Monroe Co. OH Census Records
Monroe Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Monroe Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Monroe Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Monroe Co. OH General and History Websites
Monroe Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Monroe Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Monroe Co. OH Military Records
- Monroe County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Monroe County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.