Madison County, Ohio Facts
Madison County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.madison.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1810 from Franklin County
- County Seat: London
- Named After: James Madison (1751-1836), fourth U.S. President
- Bordering Counties: Union County (north), Franklin County (east), Pickaway County (southeast), Fayette County (south), Greene County (southwest), Clark County (west), Champaign County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include London, Midway, Mount Sterling, Plain City, South Solon, West Jefferson.
- Townships Include Canaan, Darby, Deer Creek, Fairfield, Jefferson, Monroe, Oak Run, Paint, Pike, Pleasant, Range, Somerford, Stokes, Union.
- Other localities Include Rosedale, Sedalia
Madison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County Chapter - OGS, PO Box 102, London, OH 43140-0102; Phone: (740) 852-0232; This OGS Chapter focuses on genealogy, history, and preservation of records, and publication.
- Madison County Historical Society, PO Box 124, London, OH 43140-0124; Phone: (740) 852-2977; The Madison County Historical Society's museum was established over 15 years ago to preserve and interpret Madison County history. The main museum building houses many permanent exhibits. A variety of exhibit buildings are on the grounds. During the summer the museum is open on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons only from 1 to 4 P.M.
- Plain City Historical Society, 341 N Chillicothe St, Plain City, OH 43064-1063; Phone: (614) 873-4942; The Plain City Historical Society is a working group that collects and records historical information on the town and its people. It is currently putting local history information in the local library.
- Madison County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Madison County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Madison County
Madison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Madison County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Madison County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Madison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 N. Main St., London 43140-0000
- Phone: (740) 852-2972
- Madison County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 852-0756
- Marriage Records: 1810
- Probate Records: 1810
- Madison County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (740) 852-1854
- Land Records: 1810
- Madison County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 845-1780
- Court Records: 1810
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Madison County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Madison County genealogy or family history related sites.
Madison Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Madison Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Madison Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Madison Co. OH Census Records
Madison Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Madison Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Madison Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Madison Co. OH General and History Websites
- Madison County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- The History of Madison County, Ohio : containing a history of the county, its townships, towns, churches, schools, etc., genera (search.ancestry.com)
- Madison County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Madison County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Madison Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Madison County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Madison County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Madison (cyndislist.com)
- Madison Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Madison County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Madison Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Madison Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Madison Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Madison Co. OH Military Records
- Madison County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Madison County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.