Lucas County, Ohio Facts
Lucas County Facts
- Government Website: www.lucascountyoh.gov
- Created Date / Origin: June 20, 1835 from Wood and Sandusky
- County Seat: Toledo
- Named After: Robert Lucas (1781–1853), Governor of Ohio when the county was created
- Bordering Counties: Monroe County, MI (north), Essex County, Ontario (northeast), Ottawa County (southeast), Wood County (south), Henry County (southwest), Fulton County (west), Lenawee County, MI (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Maumee, Oregon, Sylvania, Toledo, Berkey, Harbor View, Holland, Ottawa Hills, Swanton, Waterville, Whitehouse.
- Townships Include Harding, Jerusalem, Monclova, Providence, Richfield, Spencer, Springfield, Swanton, Sylvania, Washington, Waterville.
- Other localities Include Monclova, Neapolis, Providence
Lucas County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Lucas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lucas County Chapter, OGS, 325 N. Michigan St., Toledo, OH 43624-1614; Lucas County Chapter, OGS meets at the Toledo-Lucas County Library, 325 N. Michigan St., in downtown Toledo on the third Saturday of each month, except July, August, and December at 1:30pm. This OGS Chapter seeks to foster and encourage an interest in preserving the historical and genealogical records of Lucas County. It sponsors the First Families of Lucas County and publishes indexed genealogical works to aid in researching individual heritage.
- Maumee Valley Historical Society, 1031 River Rd, Maumee, OH 43537-3460; Phone: (419) 893-9602; The Lucas County/Maumee Valley Historical Society operates the Wolcott House Museum Complex--six historic buildings including: the Wolcott House, an example of Federal architecture built in 1830; a log home from the banks of the Miami and Erie Canal; an 1840s saltbox-style farmhouse; the Clover Leaf Railroad Depot from the 1800s, the Monclova United Brethren Church; and an 1840 Greek Revival-style townhouse.
- Sylvania Area Historical Society, The, 5717 N Main St, Sylvania, OH 43560-1985; Phone: (419) 841-4892;
- Waterville Historical Society, PO Box 263, Waterville, OH 43566-0263; Phone: (419) 878-8695; The Waterville Historical Society maintains both the Robbins House and the Sargent House as historical museums, and provides walking tours of Waterville's Historic District. Currently it is renovating the Wakeman Masonic Lodge into a meeting area and display location.
- Western Lake Erie Historical Society, 300 Phillips Ave Ste 343, Toledo, OH 43612-1491; Phone: (419) 478-0008; The Western Lake Erie Historical Society maintains the Willis B. Boyer (a 617-foot long lake freighter, circa 1911). Several staterooms have been converted into a museum containing lake-shipping exhibits and a major museum is being developed in the center hold (cargo space).
- Lucas County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Lucas County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lucas County
- Lucas County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Lucas County
Lucas County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Lucas County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Lucas County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lucas County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Lucas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 800 Adams St, Toledo 43624
- Phone: (419) 213-4000
- Lucas County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 700 Adams Street, Suite 200, Toledo, Ohio 43604
- Phone: (419) 213-4775
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1835
- Lucas County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: One Government Center #700, 640 Jackson Street, Toledo, OH 43604
- Phone: 419-213-4400
- Land Records: 1808
- Lucas County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 700 Adams St., Toledo, OH 43604-5658
- Phone: (419) 213-4484
- Court Records: 1835
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Lucas County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lucas County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Lucas County genealogy or family history related sites.
Lucas Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lucas Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Lucas Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Lucas Co. OH Census Records
Lucas Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Lucas Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Lucas Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Lucas Co. OH General and History Websites
Lucas Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Lucas Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lucas Co. OH Military Records
- Lucas County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Lucas County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
AlpineLucas Co. OH Schools & Directories