Jefferson County, Ohio Facts
Jefferson County Facts
- Government Website: www.jeffersoncountyoh.com/
- Created Date / Origin: July 29, 1797 from Washington County
- County Seat: Steubenville
- Named After: Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), Vice President when the county was organized, future U.S. President, and principal author of the Declaration of Independence
- Bordering Counties: Columbiana County (north), Hancock County, WV (northeast), Brooke County, WV (east), Ohio County, WV (southeast), Belmont County (south), Harrison County (southwest), Carroll County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Steubenville, Toronto, Amsterdam, Bergholz, Bloomingdale, Dillonvale, Empire, Irondale, Mingo Junction, Mount Pleasant, New Alexandria, Rayland, Richmond, Smithfield, Stratton, Tiltonsville, Wintersville.
- Townships Include Brush Creek, Cross Creek, Island Creek, Knox, Mount Pleasant, Ross, Salem, Saline, Smithfield, Springfield, Steubenville, Warren, Wayne, Wells.
- Other localities Include Brilliant, East Springfield, Hammondsville, Hopewell, New Somerset, Piney Fork, Wolf Run, Weems
Jefferson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society , 167 Main St, Bellville, OH 44813-1239; Phone: (419) 886-3571; The Bellville-Jefferson Township Historical Society meets monthly and presents a program of historical significance and has exhibits.
- Jefferson County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2367, Wintersville, OH 43953; Jefferson County Chapter, OGS meetings are quarterly, on the second Tuesday of each quarter, held at the Schiappa Branch Public Library, Mall Drive, Steubenville, OH. As of January 2008 the chapter will list cemetery tombstone inscriptions online, church records, veterans grave registration card indexes, post offices and post masters and much more! This OGS Chapter is concerned with preserving genealogical materials throughout the county and tri-state area. They focus strongly on preserving history by taking an active role in locating and restoring pioneer cemeteries, records, and materials of a genealogical worth.
- Jefferson County Historical Association , PO Box 218, Steubenville, OH 43952-5218; Phone: (740) 283-1133; The eighteen-room Jefferson County Historical Museum contains furniture, clothing, documents, books, and pictures highlighting Jefferson County. Included are the Jefferson County Riverboat Room, Transportation Gallery, and President's Room.
- Jefferson County, Ohio GenWeb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Jefferson County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Jefferson County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jefferson County
Jefferson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Jefferson County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Jefferson County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jefferson County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 Market St., Steubenville 43952-2133
- Phone: (740) 283-4111
- Jefferson County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 283-8554
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1798
- Jefferson County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-283-8566
- Land Records: 1795
- Jefferson County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740)283-8543
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Jefferson County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Jefferson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jefferson Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jefferson Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jefferson Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jefferson Co. OH Census Records
Jefferson Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jefferson Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Jefferson Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jefferson Co. OH General and History Websites
Jefferson Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Jefferson Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jefferson Co. OH Military Records
- Jefferson County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Jefferson County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.