Jackson County, Ohio Facts
Jackson County Facts
- Government Website: www.jacksoncountygovernment.org/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1816 from Athens, Gallia County, Ross County and Scioto County
- County Seat: Jackson
- Named After: General Andrew Jackson (1767–1845)
- Bordering Counties: Vinton County (north), Gallia County (east), Lawrence County (south), Scioto County (southwest), Pike County (west), Ross County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Jackson, Wellston, Coalton, Oak Hill.
- Townships Include Bloomfield, Coal, Franklin, Hamilton, Jackson, Jefferson, Liberty, Lick, Madison, Milton, Scioto, Washington.
- Other localities Include Byer, Wainwright
Jackson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jackson County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 807, Jackson, OH 45640-0807; Ph (740) 384-4187 ; Jackson County Chapter, OGS meets at the Jackson City Library on the third Monday of each month at 7:30 pm. This OGS Chapter maintains a collection of genealogical and historical books and newsletters from other organizations at the Jackson City Library.
- Jackson Center Historical Society, PO Box 473, Jackson Center, OH 45334-0473; Phone: (330) 653-9817; The Jackson Center Historical Society maintains a museum that displays many artifacts from the town and local farming community.
- Jackson Historical Society, PO Box 887, Jackson, OH 45640-0475; Phone: (740) 286-4371
- Jackson Township Historical Society , PO Box 35171, Canton, OH 44735-5171; Phone: (330) 830-8622
- Jackson County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Jackson County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jackson County
- Jackson County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jackson County
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Jackson County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jackson County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 226 East Main Street, Jackson 45640-0000
- Phone: (740) 286-3301
- Jackson County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: ?
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1798
- Jackson County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (740) 286-1919
- Land Records: 1795
- Jackson County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 286-3601
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Jackson County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Jackson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jackson Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jackson Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. OH Census Records
Jackson Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jackson Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Jackson Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. OH General and History Websites
Jackson Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Jackson Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. OH Military Records
- Jackson County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Jackson County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.