Holmes County, Ohio Facts
Holmes County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.holmes.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: January 20, 1824 from Wayne County, Coshocton County and Tuscarawas County (Organized in 1825)
- County Seat: Millersburg
- Named After: Major Andrew Holmes (d. 1814), a War of 1812 officer
- Bordering Counties: Wayne County (north), Stark County (
northeast), Tuscarawas County (east), Coshocton County (south), Knox County (southwest), Ashland County (northwest).
- Municipalities Include Baltic, Glenmont, Holmesville, Killbuck, Loudonville, Millersburg, Nashville.
- Townships Include Berlin, Clark, Hardy, Killbuck, Knox, Mechanic, Monroe, Paint, Prairie, Richland, Ripley, Salt Creek, Walnut Creek, Washington.
- Other localities Include Berlin, Big Prairie, Charm, Lakeville, Mount Hope, Walnut Creek, Winesburg
Holmes County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Holmes County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Holmes County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 136, Millersburg, OH 44654-0136; Holmes County Chapter, OGS meets at the Holmes County Library in Millersburg on the fourth Thursday of each month at 7:30pm. This OGS Chapter helps people researching their ancestors through consultation and with a newsletter that is rated as one of the top in the nation. In the last several years the group has considerably augmented the library's genealogical collection and has purchased a microfiche reader to aid researchers.
- County Line Historical Society of Wayne-Holmes County, 281 North Market St., Shreve, OH 44676-0614; Phone: 330-567-0071; The County Line Historical Society has a small but interesting collection of historical documents and items in their office and showrooms in the back of the Shreve Townhouse. They hold open houses starting in May through October on the second Saturday of the month from noon to 3 pm.
- Holmes County Historical Society, PO Box 126, Millersburg, OH 44654-0126; Phone: (330) 674-0022; The Holmes County Historical Society has restored a 28-room Queen Anne Victorian House, filled with period antiques, Holmes County History, artifacts, and pioneer tools.
- Killbuck Valley Historical Society, PO Box 142, Killbuck, OH 44637-0142; Phone: (330) 377-4572; The Killbuck Valley Historical Society supports programs designed for teaching the natural and human history of the Killbuck Valley area with an emphasis on geology, paleontology, and archaeology. The Museum's exhibits focus on zoology and local history, and a committee of teachers coordinates the Society's educational programs.
- Winesburg Historical Society, PO Box 14, Winesburg, OH 44690-0014; Phone: (419) 935-3765; The Winesburg Historical Society maintains the 1830 Marker Log House and is currently working on the 1876 Peters School House, dismantled and moved to its present site.
- Holmes County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Holmes County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Holmes County
- Holmes County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Holmes County
Holmes County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Holmes County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Holmes County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Holmes County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Holmes County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1 E. Jackson St., Millersburg 44654-0000
- Phone: (330) 674-0286
- Holmes County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (330) 674-5881
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Probate Records: 1825
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908
- Holmes County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 75 E. Clinton St. Suite 101, Millersburg, OH 44654
- Phone: (330) 674-5916
- Land Records: 1808
- Holmes County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (330) 674-5086
- Court Records: 1825
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Holmes County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Holmes County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Holmes County genealogy or family history related sites.
Holmes Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Holmes Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Holmes Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Holmes Co. OH Census Records
Holmes Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Holmes Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Holmes Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Holmes Co. OH General and History Websites
Holmes Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Holmes Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Holmes Co. OH Military Records