Highland County, Ohio Facts
Highland County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.highland.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: May 1, 1805 from Adams County, Clermont County and Ross County
- County Seat: Hillsboro
- Named After: Descriptive of the county's terrain
- Bordering Counties: Fayette County (north), Ross County (northeast), Pike County (east), Adams County (southeast), Brown County (southwest), Clinton County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Greenfield, Hillsboro, Highland, Lynchburg, Leesburg, Mowrystown, Sinking Spring.
- Townships Include Brushcreek, Clay, Concord, Dodson, Fairfield, Hamer, Jackson, Liberty, Madison, Marshall, New Market, Paint, Penn, Salem, Union, Washington, Whiteoak.
- Other localities Include Buford, Marshall
Highland County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Highland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Highland County Genealogy Society, 151 East Main Street, Hillsboro 45133
- Highland County Historical Society, 151 E Main St, Hillsboro, OH 45133-1450; Phone: (937) 393-3392; The Highland County Historical Society maintains the Highland House Museum. Built in 1844, it has been a private residence, a hotel, and a restaurant. Current displays include items relating to the history of Highland County.
- Southern Ohio Chapter, OGS, PO Box 414, Hillsboro, OH 45133; Southern Ohio Chapter, OGS meets at the Southern State Community College, Central Campus, Hillsboro, OH at 7:00pm on the second Thursday each month except January and February.
- Greenfield Historical Society, 103 S McArthur Way, Greenfield, OH 45123; Phone: (937) 981-7890;
- Lynchburg Historical Society, PO Box 495, Lynchburg, OH 45142-0495; Phone: (937) 364-2080;
- Highland County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Highland County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Highland County
- Highland County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Highland County
Highland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Highland County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Highland County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Highland County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Highland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: PO Box 825, 105 North High Street, Hillsboro 45133-0825
- Phone: (937) 393-1911
- Highland County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (937) 393-9981
- Marriage Records: 1805
- Probate Records: 1809
- Highland County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 119 Governor Foraker Place, Suite 108, Hillsboro, OH 45133
- Phone: (937) 393-9954
- Land Records: 1804
- Highland County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (937) 393-2422
- Court Records: 1805
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Highland County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Highland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Highland County genealogy or family history related sites.
Highland Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Highland Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Highland Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Highland Co. OH Census Records
Highland Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Highland Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Highland Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Highland Co. OH General and History Websites
Highland Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Highland Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Highland Co. OH Military Records