Henry County, Ohio Facts
Henry County Facts
- Government Website: www.henrycountyohio.com/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1820 from Logan County, Shelby County, Wood County and Williams County (Organized in 1834)
- County Seat: Napoleon
- Named After: Patrick Henry (1736–1799), Revolutionary War-era legislator, orator, and scholar
- Bordering Counties: Fulton County (north), Lucas County (northeast), Wood County (east), Putnam County (south), Defiance County (west), Williams County (northwest), Hancock County (southeast)
- Municipalities Include Napoleon, Deshler, Florida, Hamler, Holgate, Liberty Center, Malinta, McClure, New Bavaria.
- Townships Include Bartlow, Damascus, Flatrock, Freedom, Harrison, Liberty, Marion, Monroe, Napoleon, Pleasant, Richfield, Ridgeville, Washington.
- Other localities Include Colton, Grelton, Okolona, Ridgeville Corners
Henry County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Henry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henry County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 231, Deshler, OH 43516; Henry County Chapter, OGS meets at the Edwin Wood Memorial Library in Deshler at 7:00pm on the third Monday evening of each month except December. The Henry County Chapter assists in any genealogical research of Henry County. Its holdings are housed at the home of Lucille Van Scoyoc.
- Bartlow Township Historical Society, PO Box 131, Deshler, OH 43516-0131; The Bartlow Township Historical Society promotes the railroad and other history of Deshler, the crossroads of the B&O Railroad. The Society is currently renovating a building on Main Street to be used as its museum.
- Henry County Historical Society, PO Box 443, Napoleon, OH 43545-0443; Phone: (419) 592-8006
- Liberty Center Historical Society, PO Box 106, Liberty Center, OH 43532-0106; Phone: (419) 598-8442
- Henry County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Henry County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henry County
- Henry County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henry County
Henry County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Henry County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Henry County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henry county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Henry County was attached to Wood County and Williams County Counties from 1820-1834. Early court records may be found there.
- Henry County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 660 N. Perry, Napoleon 43545-1702
- Phone: (419) 592-4876
- Henry County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-592-7771
- Marriage Records: 1847
- Probate Records: 1847
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908
- Henry County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-592-1766
- Land Records: 1846
- Henry County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-592-5886
- Court Records: 1847
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Henry County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henry County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Henry County genealogy or family history related sites.
Henry Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henry Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henry Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henry Co. OH Census Records
Henry Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Henry Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Henry Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henry Co. OH General and History Websites
Henry Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Henry Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henry Co. OH Military Records