Harrison County, Ohio Facts
Harrison County Facts
- Government Website: www.harrisoncountyohio.org
- Created Date / Origin: February 1, 1813 from Jefferson County and Tuscarawas County
- County Seat: Cadiz
- Named After: General William Henry Harrison(1773–1841), an officer of the War of 1812 and future U.S. President
- Bordering Counties: Carroll County (north), Jefferson County (east), Belmont County (south), Guernsey County (southwest), Tuscarawas County (west)
- Municipalities Include Adena, Bowerston, Cadiz, Deersville, Freeport, Harrisville, Hopedale, Jewett, New Athens, Scio.
- Townships Include Archer, Athens, Cadiz, Franklin, Freeport, German, Green, Monroe, Moorefield, North, Nottingham, Rumley, Short Creek, Stock, Washington.
- Other localities Include New Rumley, Piedmont, Pittsburgh Junction, Tippecanoe
Harrison County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Harrison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Harrison County Chapter, OGS, 45507 Unionvale Rd., Cadiz, OH 43907-9723; (740) 942-3641 ; Harrison County Chapter, OGS meets at the Historical Building, 168 E. Market St., Cadiz, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:00pm (except May and December). There is a picnic in July. This OGS Chapter has local and state genealogical information in books and on microfiche to help serve genealogists interested in Harrison County.
- Harrison County Historical Society, PO Box 362, Cadiz, OH 43907-0362; Phone: (740) 942-2291; The Harrison County Historical Society provides information about Harrison County and its people.
- Harrison County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Harrison County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harrison County
- Harrison County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Harrison County
Harrison County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Harrison County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Harrison County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Harrison County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Harrison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 West Market Street, Cadiz, OH 43907
- Phone: 1-614-942-8861
- Harrison County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-942-8868
- Marriage Records: 1813
- Probate Records: 1813
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908
- Harrison County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone:740-942-8869 or 740-942-8523
- Land Records: 1812
- Harrison County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-942-8863
- Court Records: 1814
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Harrison County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harrison County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Harrison County genealogy or family history related sites.
Harrison Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Harrison Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Harrison Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Harrison Co. OH Census Records
Harrison Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Harrison Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Harrison Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Harrison Co. OH General and History Websites
Harrison Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Harrison Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Harrison Co. OH Military Records