Gallia County, Ohio Facts
Gallia County Facts
- Government Website: gallianet.net
- Created Date / Origin: April 30, 1803 from Washington County
- County Seat: Gallipolis
- Named After: Gaul, the ancient name of France
- Bordering Counties: Vinton County (north), Meigs County (northeast), Mason County, WV (east), Cabell County, WV (south), Lawrence County (southwest), Jackson County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Gallipolis, Centerville, Cheshire, Crown City, Rio Grande, Vinton.
- Townships Include Addison, Cheshire, Clay, Gallipolis, Green, Greenfield, Guyan, Harrison, Huntington, Morgan, Ohio, Perry, Raccoon, Springfield, Walnut.
- Other localities Include Bidwell, Kerr, Patriot
Gallia County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Gallia County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Gallia County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1007, Gallipolis, OH 45631; meets the second Thursday of the month at 7:00pm at the Gallia County Probate Court. No meetings in July, August or December.
- Gallia County Historical Society, 412 Second Ave, Gallipolis, OH 45631-1130; Phone: (740) 446-7200; The Gallia County Historical & Genealogical Society discovers, collects, and preserves historical and genealogical material of Gallia County, making it available to the public through publications and events. The Genealogical Society maintains an ancestor chart.
- Esther Greer Museum/Archives, PO Box 12, Rio Grande, OH 45674-0012; Phone: (740) 245-7351
- Gallia County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Gallia County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Gallia County
- Gallia County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Gallia County
Gallia County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Gallia County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Gallia County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Gallia County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Gallia County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 18 Locust St., Gallipolis 45631
- Phone: (740) 446-4374
- Gallia County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 446-4612
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1803
- Gallia County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740-446-4612 Ext 246
- Land Records: 1803
- Gallia County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-446-4612 Ext. 221
- Court Records: 1811
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Gallia County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gallia County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Gallia County genealogy or family history related sites.
Gallia Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gallia Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gallia Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gallia Co. OH Census Records
Gallia Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gallia Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Gallia Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gallia Co. OH General and History Websites
Gallia Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Gallia Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gallia Co. OH Military Records
- Gallia County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Gallia County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.