Fulton County, Ohio Facts
Fulton County Facts
- Government Website: www.fultoncountyoh.com/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1850 from Lucas County, Williams County and Henry County
- County Seat: Wauseon
- Named After: Robert Fulton (1765–1815), inventor of the steamboat
- Bordering Counties: Lenawee County, MI (north), Lucas County (east), Henry County (south), Williams County (west), Hillsdale County, MI (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Wauseon, Archbold, Delta, Fayette, Lyons, Metamora, Swanton.
- Townships Include Amboy, Chesterfield, Clinton, Dover, Franklin, Fulton, German, Gorham, Pike, Royalton, Swan Creek, York..
- Other localities Include Include Pettisville
Fulton County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fulton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Fulton County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 337, Swanton, OH 43558-0337; meets the second Tuesday of every month, except for July and August at the Trinity Lutheran Church, Taylor Street, Delta, OH. This OGS Chapter's holdings include books, cemetery records, marriage records, obituaries, family histories, and microfilm of censuses, court records and newspapers. The holdings are house at the Swanton Public Library.
- Fulton County Historical Society, PO Box 104, Wauseon, OH 43567-0104; Phone: (800) 337-7922; The Fulton County Historical Society's collection contains mid-to-late Victorian furniture, Civil War, Spanish American War, World War I & II artifacts, among others. The museum's archives contains ledgers, journals, personal diaries, scrapbooks, autograph books, postcards, photographs, among others dating from about 1832 to 1976.
- Fulton County Records Center, 152 S. Fulton Street - Admin. Bldg., Suite 55, Wauseon, OH 43567; Phone: 419-337-9262, Fax: 419-337-9297
- Fulton Co Historical Society Museum, 229 Monroe Street, Wauseon, OH 43567; 419-337-7922; Open Year Round, Sun 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mon., Tues., & Wed. 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Closed Holidays
- Fulton County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Fulton County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fulton County
- Fulton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fulton County
Fulton County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Fulton County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Fulton County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Fulton County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county. Courthouse burned on July 16th, 1864,. some records destroyed.
- Information on Fulton Co. Ohio Probate Records (Wills and General Files) from 1864 after the courthouse fire.
- WILLS Copied from BARBER'S ABSTRACT BOOK For Fulton County, Ohio. As the First Court House in Fulton Co. was located in Ottokee, and made of wood, a fire broke out in the wooden courthouse about the night of July 14, 1864, and many of the early records were then destroyed. It seems that Judge Barber had made a personal record of the early wills, and the old book is referred to as "BARBER'S ABSTRACTS." It had been missing for many years, and in 1969, when items were removed from the secret Historical Room located on the second floor room of the courthouse the Judge's, the old will book was found. It is available at County Records Center
- Fulton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 210 S. Fulton, Wauseon 43567-1355
- Phone: (419) 337-9255
- Fulton County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 337-9242
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Probate Records: 1853
- Fulton County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 152 S. Fulton St., Suite 175, Wauseon, OH 43567
- Phone: (419) 337-9232
- Land Records: 1835
- Fulton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 337-9260
- Court Records: 1850
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Fulton County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Fulton County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Fulton County genealogy or family history related sites.
Fulton Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fulton Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fulton Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fulton Co. OH Census Records
Fulton Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fulton Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Fulton Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fulton Co. OH General and History Websites
- Fulton County Ohio (genealogytrails.com)
- The County of Fulton : a history of Fulton County, Ohio, from the earliest days, with special chapters on various subjects, inc (search.ancestry.com)
- Commemorative biographical record of northwestern Ohio : including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams and Fulton, contai (search.ancestry.com)
- Fulton County, Ohio Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Fulton County, Ohio Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Fulton Co. OH Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Fulton County History (usgwarchives.net)
- Fulton County, Ohio (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Ohio - Counties - Fulton (cyndislist.com)
- Fulton Co. OHGenweb (ohgenweb.org)
- Fulton County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Fulton Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Fulton Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Fulton Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fulton Co. OH Military Records
- Fulton County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Fulton County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.