Delaware County, Ohio Facts
Delaware County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.delaware.oh.us/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1808 from Franklin County
- County Seat: Delaware
- Named After: Delaware Indians
- Bordering Counties: Morrow County (north), Knox County (northeast), Licking County (east), Franklin County (south), Union County (west), Marion County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Columbus, Delaware, Dublin, Powell, Westerville, Ashley, Galena, Ostrander, Shawnee Hills, Sunbury.
- Townships Include Berkshire, Berlin, Brown, Concord, Delaware, Genoa, Harlem, Kingston, Liberty, Marlboro, Orange, Oxford, Porter, Radnor, Scioto, Thompson, Trenton, Troy.
- Other localities Include Kilbourne, Lewis Center, Radnor
Delaware County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Delaware County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1126, Delaware, OH 43015-8126, Phone: (740) 369-3831 ; meets at the Delaware County Historical Society, 157 E. William St., Delaware, usually on the first Tuesday, September through June, at 7:30 p.m.; exceptions occur in any month that public elections occur on the first Tuesday. The Delaware County Chapter genealogy library is located in the Annex of the Nash House Museum. They are open mid-March through mid-November on Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday from 2-4:30 and Thursday 10-4:30. Those who need other times to accommodate them may call for an appointment.
- Delaware County Historical Society, PO Box 317, Delaware, OH 43015-0317; Phone: (740) 369-3831; The Delaware County Historical Society maintains the circa 1880 Nash House Museum. The Museum's annex contains additional exhibits and a local and family history library. Its genealogy research library is among one of the best in the state of Ohio.
- Archives of Ohio United Methodism, Beeghly Library, 43 Rowland Ave, Delaware, OH 43015-2370; Phone: (740) 368-3285; The Archives of Ohio United Methodist holds a collection of books, manuscripts, photographs, and memorabilia that documents the history of the East and West Ohio Conferences of the United Methodist Church and their antecedents. Materials date from 1800 to the present.
- Big Walnut Area Historical Society, PO Box 616, Sunbury, OH 43074-0616; The Big Walnut Area Historical Society is in the process of renovating the Myers Inn for a future museum of the 1820s with a goal of being open for the State's 200th anniversary.
- Powell Liberty Historical Society, 103 E Olentangy Dr, Powell, OH 43065-5051; Phone: (614) 848-6210; The Powell Liberty Historical Society operates out of the restored 1889 Martin-Perry Homestead. Furnished in period antiques, the museum includes a small library/research room, exhibit room, with changing displays, a meeting room and Victorian gardens. Monthly adult programs and open houses are offered as well as specially dated children's programs.
- Delaware County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Delaware County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Delaware County
- Delaware County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Delaware County
Delaware County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Delaware County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Delaware County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Delaware County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 91 N. Sandusky, Delaware 43015-1703
- Phone: (740) 369-8761
- Delaware County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 740-833-2680
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1812
- Delaware County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 140 N Sandusky St, Delaware, OH 43015
- Phone: (740) 833-2460.
- Land Records: 1807
- Delaware County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 740-833-2500
- Court Records: 1818
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Delaware County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Delaware County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Delaware County genealogy or family history related sites.
Delaware Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Delaware Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Delaware Co. OH Census Records
Delaware Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Delaware Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Delaware Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Delaware Co. OH General and History Websites
Delaware Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Delaware Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Delaware Co. OH Military Records
- Delaware County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Delaware County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.