Defiance County, Ohio Facts
Defiance County Facts
- Government Website: www.defiance-county.com/
- Created Date / Origin: April 7, 1845 from Henry County, Paulding County and Williams County
- County Seat: Defiance
- Named After: Fort Defiance, built in 1794 by General Anthony Wayne
- Bordering Counties: Williams County (north), Henry County (east), Putnam County (southeast), Paulding County (south), Allen County, IN (southwest), DeKalb County, IN (west)
- Municipalities Include Defiance, Hicksville, Ney, Sherwood.
- Townships Include Adams, Defiance, Delaware, Farmer, Hicksville, Highland, Mark, Milford, Noble, Richland, Tiffin, Washington.
- Other localities Include Evansport, Farmer, Jewell, Mark Center
Defiance County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Defiance County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Defiance County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 7006, Defiance, OH 43512-7006; meets at St. John's United Church of Christ, Defiance College campus. The church is on the corner of Grand Ave. and Webster St.; go into the door off of the parking lot. Meetings are the fourth Monday of the month at 7:00pm except for August. This OGS Chapter's holdings are housed in the Ohioans Room of the Defiance Public Library.
- Defiance County Historical Society, PO Box 801, Defiance, OH 43512-0801; The Defiance County Historical Society operates Auglaize Village, a recreated village of thirty-five new, restored, and reconstructed buildings typical of rural northwest Ohio in the early part of the 19th century.
- Hicksville Historical Society Inc, PO Box 162, Hicksville, OH 43526-0162; Phone: (419) 542-6272; The Hicksville Historical Society was originally formed to restore St. Paul's Episcopal Church. It now collects historical records and artifacts to promote community interest in local history.
- Defiance County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Defiance County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Defiance County
- Defiance County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Defiance County
Defiance County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Defiance County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Defiance County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Defiance County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Defiance County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 221 Clinton Street, Defiance, Ohio 43512
- Phone: (419) 782-4761
- Defiance County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419) 782-4181
- Marriage Records: 1845
- Probate Records:1845
- Defiance County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 500 Second Street, Suite 201, Defiance, Ohio 43512
- Phone: (419) 782-4741
- Land Records: 1823
- Defiance County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (419) 782-5931
- Court Records:1845
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Defiance County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Defiance County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Defiance County genealogy or family history related sites.
Defiance Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Defiance Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Defiance Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Defiance Co. OH Census Records
Defiance Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Defiance Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Defiance Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Defiance Co. OH General and History Websites
Defiance Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Defiance Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Defiance Co. OH Military Records
- Defiance County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Defiance County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.