Darke County, Ohio Facts
Darke County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.darke.oh.us
- Created Date / Origin: January 3, 1809 from Miami County (Organized in 1817)
- County Seat: Greenville
- Named After: General William Darke (1736-1801), Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Mercer County (north), Shelby County (
northeast), Miami County (east), Montgomery County (southeast), Preble County (south), Wayne County, IN (southwest), Randolph County, IN (west), Jay County, IN (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Greenville, Ansonia, Arcanum, Bradford, Burkettsville, Castine, Gettysburg, Gordon, Hollansburg, Ithaca, New Madison, New Weston, North Star, Osgood, Palestine, Pitsburg, Rossburg, Union City, Versailles, Wayne Lakes, Yorkshire.
- Townships Include Adams, Allen, Brown, Butler, Franklin, Greenville, Harrison, Jackson, Liberty, Mississinawa, Monroe, Neave, Patterson, Richland, Twin, Van Buren, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, York.
- Other localities Include Beamsville, Dawn, Stelvideo
Darke County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Darke County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Darke County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 908, Greenville, OH 45331-0908; Darke County Chapter, OGS meets at Garst Museum at 2:00pm. Call (937) 526-3953 for meeting dates. This OGS Chapter's holdings are housed in the genealogical library of Garst Historical Museum.
- Darke County Historical Society/Garst Museum, 205 N Broadway, Garst Museum, Greenville, OH 45331-2222; Phone: (937) 548-5250; The Darke County Historical Society preserves the history of the local historical events and the founders of Darke County. Primary features include Annie Oakley, Lowell Thomas, Treaty of Greene Ville, Zachary Lansdowne as well as room settings and artifacts.
- Arcanum Wayne Trail Historical Society, PO Box 4, Arcanum, OH 45304-1401
- Darke County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Darke County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Darke County
- Darke County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Darke County
Darke County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Darke County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Darke County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Darke County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Darke County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 504 South Broadway, Greenville 45331
- Phone: (937) 547-7300
- Darke County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 300 Garst Avenue, Greenville, Ohio 45331
- Phone: (937) 547-7350
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1818
- Darke County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 504 South Broadway, Greenville, OH 45331
- Phone: 937-547-7390
- Land Records:1822
- Darke County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 937-547-7335
- Court Records: 1817
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Darke County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Darke County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Darke County genealogy or family history related sites.
Darke Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Darke Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Darke Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Darke Co. OH Census Records
Darke Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Darke Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Darke Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Darke Co. OH General and History Websites
Darke Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Darke Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Darke Co. OH Military Records
- Darke County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Darke County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
AlpineDarke Co. OH Schools & Directories