Crawford County, Ohio Facts
Crawford County Facts
- Government Website: www.crawford-co.org/
- Created Date / Origin: April 1, 1820 from Seneca County, Sandusky County and Marion County (Organized in 1826)
- County Seat: Bucyrus
- Named After: Colonel William Crawford (1732-1782), Revolutionary War officer
- Bordering Counties: Seneca County (north), Huron County (northeast), Richland County (east), Morrow County (southeast), Marion County (southwest), Wyandot County (west)
- Municipalities Include Bucyrus, Crestline, Galion, Chatfield, New Washington, North Robinson, Tiro.
- Townships Include Auburn, Bucyrus, Chatfield, Cranberry, Dallas, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Liberty, Lykens, Polk, Sandusky, Texas, Tod, Vernon, Whetstone.
- Other localities Include Oceola, Sulphur Springs
Crawford County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Crawford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Crawford County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 92, Galion, OH 44833-0092; meets the third Thursday of the month at 7:30pm except in February, July, August, and December. This OGS Chapter helps researchers and publishes books on the genealogy of Crawford County.
- Bucyrus Historical Society, PO Box 493, Bucyrus, OH 44820-0493; Phone: (419) 562-6386; The Bucyrus Historical Society's Museum is a stately Victorian House that stands on a lot included in the original plot of Bucyrus and was owned by the Scrogg's family for 127 years. The house is filled with old Bucyrus history, furnishings, and memorabilia. The Carriage House has a restored 1826 Niagara Fire steam engine and an 1869 "Silky" Hose Cart.
- Crestline Historical Society, PO Box 456, Crestline, OH 44827-0456; Phone: (419) 683-3410
- Galion Historical Society Inc, PO Box 125, Galion, OH 44833-0125; Phone: (419) 468-9338; The Galion Historical Society is a local history museum with emphasis on Galion and Crawford Counties. Open for tours on Sunday, June through October with tours at 1:30, 2:15 and 3:00 p.m. large groups by appointment. Call (419) 468-5567.
- New Washington Historical Society, PO Box 463, New Washington, OH 44854-0463; Phone: (419) 492-2829
- Crawford County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Crawford County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Crawford County
- Crawford County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Crawford County
Crawford County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Crawford County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Crawford County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Crawford County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county. Some early records before 1826 may be found in Seneca, Sandusky and Marion Counties
- Crawford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 112 E. Mansfield St., Bucyrus 44820
- Phone: (419) 562-5876
- Crawford County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 419-562-2766
- Marriage Records: 1831
- Probate Records: 1831
- Crawford County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-562-6961
- Land Records: 1816
- Crawford County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 419-562-5771
- Court Records: 1831
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Crawford County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Crawford County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Crawford County genealogy or family history related sites.
Crawford Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Crawford Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Crawford Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Crawford Co. OH Census Records
Crawford Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Crawford Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Crawford Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Crawford Co. OH General and History Websites
Crawford Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Crawford Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Crawford Co. OH Military Records
- Crawford County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Crawford County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.