Columbiana County, Ohio Facts
Columbiana County Facts
- Government Website: www.columbianacounty.org/
- Created Date / Origin: May 1, 1803 from Jefferson County
- County Seat: Lisbon
- Named After: Derived from the words Christopher Columbus, European explorer of the Americas
- Bordering Counties: Mahoning County (north), Lawrence County, PA (northeast), Beaver County, PA (east), Hancock County, WV (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Carroll County (southwest), Stark County (west)
- Municipalities Include Columbiana, East Liverpool, East Palestine, Salem, Hanoverton, Leetonia, Lisbon, Minerva, New Waterford, Rogers, Salineville, Summitville, Washingtonville, Wellsville.
- Townships Include Butler, Center, Elkrun, Fairfield, Franklin, Hanover, Knox, Liverpool, Madison, Middleton, Perry, Salem, St. Clair, Unity, Washington, Wayne, West, Yellow Creek.
- Other localities Include East Rochester, Elkton, Homeworth, Kensington, Negley, North Georgetown, West Point, Winona
Columbiana County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Columbiana County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Columbiana County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 861, Salem, OH 44460-0861; meets at the Freedom Hall in the Salem Historical Society Home at the corner of Pershing and Broadway, Salem, OH, on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00pm.
- Columbiana County Historical Association, PO Box 221, Lisbon, OH 44432-0221; The Columbiana County Historical Association has a barn like building on the grounds of the Columbiana County Fair. The Columbiana County Historical Association maintains the building and contents. It is open during the week long fair and by request. The museum is filled with farm machinery and material dating back over 100 years. Both farm and household material is displayed. In the planning stages is a program for a newly designed county flag.
- East Liverpool Historical Society , PO Box 476, East Liverpool, OH 43920-5476; Phone: (330) 385-2550; The East Liverpool Historical Society currently is restoring the interior of the 1876 C.C. Thompson House to its original Victorian appearance.
- East Palestine Area Historical Society, PO Box 176, East Palestine, OH 44413-0176; Phone: (330) 426-2788; The East Palestine Area Historical Society maintains a log house built in 1840 by the Ryan family. The Society's collections include local artifacts and photographs.
- Elkton Historical Society Inc, PO Box 55, Elkton, OH 44415-0055; Phone: (330) 227-3523; The Elkton Historical Society is a small historical organization. A festival is held each year during the third weekend in June to raise funds to keep the covered bridge, built in the early 1800s, in repair.
- Hanover Township Historcial Society, PO Box 361, Hanoverton, OH 44423-0361; Phone: (330) 223-1264; The Hanover Township Historical Society maintains its museum on the second floor of the former elementary school. The museum displays items of local historical interest and contains artifacts about the Sandy Beaver Canal of Columbiana County.
- Leetonia-Salem Township Historical Society, 4337 Grafton Rd, Leetonia, OH 44431-8705; Phone: (330) 427-3007
- Columbiana County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Columbiana County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Columbiana County
- Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Columbiana County
Columbiana County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Columbiana County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Columbiana County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Columbiana County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Columbiana County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 105 S. Market St., Lisbon 44432-1255
- Phone: (330) 424-9511
- Columbiana County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 330-424-9516
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1798
- Columbiana County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: (330) 424-9517
- Land Records: 1803
- Columbiana County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: 330- 424-7777
- Court Records: 1803
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Columbiana County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Columbiana County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Columbiana County genealogy or family history related sites.
Columbiana Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Columbiana Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Columbiana Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Columbiana Co. OH Census Records
Columbiana Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Columbiana Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Columbiana Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Columbiana Co. OH General and History Websites
Columbiana Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Columbiana Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Columbiana Co. OH Military Records
- Columbiana County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Columbiana County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.
AlpineColumbiana Co. OH Schools & Directories