Clermont County, Ohio Facts
Clermont County Facts
- Government Website: www.clermontcountyohio.gov/
- Created Date / Origin: December 6, 1800 from Hamilton County
- County Seat: Batavia
- Named After: French for "clear mountain"
- Bordering Counties: Warren County (north), Clinton County (north), Brown County (east), Bracken County, KY (south), Pendleton County, KY (southwest), Campbell County, KY (southwest), Hamilton County (west)
- Municipalities Include Loveland, Milford, Amelia, Batavia, Bethel, Chilo, Felicity, Moscow, Neville, New Richmond, Newtonsville, Owensville, Williamsburg.
- Townships Include Batavia, Franklin, Goshen, Jackson, Miami, Monroe, Ohio, Pierce, Stonelick, Tate, Union, Washington, Wayne, Williamsburg.
- Other localities Include Marathon, Miamiville, Point Pleasant, Utopia
Clermont County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clermont County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clermont County Chapter, OGS, P.O. Box 394, Batavia, OH 45103-0394; meets at the Clermont County Public Library, Batavia Branch, 180 S. 3rd St., Batavia, OH on the 1st Saturday of each month at 1:00 PM.. The Clermont County Genealogical Society collects, preserves, and publishes records of the county. The group offers at least one educational workshop each year.
- Amelia Area Historical Society, PO Box 481, 44 Oak St, Amelia, OH 45102-0481; Phone: (513) 753-5777; The Amelia Area Historical Society is leasing an 1850 Historical Home owned by the Village of Amelia and restoring same as money becomes available. The goal is to operate a museum and associated facility for the collection and preservation of historically significant information regarding the village and the surrounding area.
- Clermont County Historical Society, PO Box 14, Batavia, OH 45103-0014; Phone: (513) 753-8672; The Clermont County Historical Society preserves, protects and promotes the historical heritage of Clermont County. Programs at the Society's monthly meetings include illustrated talks, films, and visits to museums and historic sites.
- Goshen Township Historical Society, Inc., PO Box 671, Goshen, OH 45122-0671; Phone: (513) 575-1027; The Goshen Township Historical Society operates the Anchorage, a circa 1836 stone house, as its museum.
- Historic New Richmond, Inc. , PO Box 2, New Richmond, OH 45157-0002; Phone: (513) 553-9955; Historic New Richmond maintains the Ross-Goudy House, built before the Civil War. Collections include historic records and artifacts from the greater New Richmond area.
- Owensville Historical Society, PO Box 743, Owensville, OH 45160-0743; Phone: (513) 732-6358
- Clermont County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Clermont County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clermont County
- Clermont County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clermont County
Clermont County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Clermont County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Clermont County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Clermont County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Clermont County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 76 S. Riverside, Batavia 45103-2602
- Phone: (513) 732-7300
- Clermont County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 2379 Clermont Center Drive, Batavia, OH 45103
- Phone: (513) 732- 7243
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Probate Records: 1800
- Clermont County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 101 Main St., Batavia, Ohio 45103-2958
- Phone: 513-732-7236
- Land Records: 1800
- Clermont County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: 270 East Main Street, Batavia, OH 45103
- Court Records: 1801
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Clermont County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clermont County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Clermont County genealogy or family history related sites.
Clermont Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clermont Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clermont Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clermont Co. OH Census Records
Clermont Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clermont Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Clermont Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clermont Co. OH General and History Websites
Clermont Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Clermont Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clermont Co. OH Military Records
- Clermont County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Clermont County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.