Carroll County, Ohio Facts
Carroll County Facts
- Government Website: www.carrollcountyohio.us/
- Created Date / Origin: January 1, 1833 from Columbiana County, Harrison County, Jefferson County, Stark and Tuscarawas County
- County Seat: Carrollton County
- Named After: Charles Carroll (1737-1832), last surviving signer of the United States Declaration of Independence
- Bordering Counties: Columbiana County (northeast), Jefferson County (southeast), Harrison County (south), Tuscarawas County (southwest), Stark County (
- Municipalities Include Carrollton, Dellroy, Leesville, Magnolia, Malvern, Minerva, Sherrodsville.
- Townships Include Augusta, Brown, Center, East, Fox, Harrison, Lee, Loudon, Monroe, Orange, Perry, Rose, Union, Washington.
- Other localities Include Augusta, Harlem Springs, Mechanicstown
Carroll County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Carroll County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Carroll County Chapter, OGS, Box 36, 24 Second St. N.E., Carrollton, Oh 44615, Phone: (330) 627-9411; meets at the Friendship Center, Carroll County Fairgrounds, Carrollton, OH on the third Tuesday of each month except for July and October. 7:30pm in July (picnic) and October (dinner) elsewhere.
- Carroll County Historical Society, PO Box 174, Carrollton, OH 44615-0174; Phone: (330) 627-5910; The Carroll County Historical Society holds the Algonquin Mill Fall Festival each year the second weekend of October. The Society has an arboretum; steam mill and seven log buildings on the farm site. The Society also operates the McCook House in cooperation with the Ohio Historical Society.
- Malvern Historical Society, PO Box 80, Malvern, OH 44644-0080; Phone: (330) 863-9964; To date, the Malvern Historical Society does not have a permanent museum, but such a museum will be an actuality within the next two years. It promotes local history by articles in the newspaper and projects of historical interest for the community.
- Carroll County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Carroll County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Carroll County
- Carroll County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carroll County
Carroll County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Carroll County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Carroll County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Carroll County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Carroll County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 119 South Lisbon Street , Carrollton 44615-1492
- Phone: (330) 627-2250
- Carroll County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (330) 627-2323
- Marriage Records: 1833
- Probate Records: 1826
- Carroll County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 330-627-4545
- Land Records: 1833
- Carroll County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (330) 627-2450
- Court Records: 1833
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Carroll County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Carroll County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Carroll County genealogy or family history related sites.
Carroll Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Carroll Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Carroll Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Carroll Co. OH Census Records
Carroll Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Carroll Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Carroll Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Carroll Co. OH General and History Websites
Carroll Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Carroll Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Carroll Co. OH Military Records
- Carroll County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Carroll County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.