Belmont County, Ohio Facts
Belmont County Facts
- Government Website: www.belmontcountyohio.org/
- Created Date / Origin: September 7, 1801 from Jefferson County and Washington County
- County Seat: St. Clairsville
- Named After: Belle monte, which means "beautiful mountain" in French
- Bordering Counties: Harrison County (north), Jefferson County (northeast), Ohio County, WV (east), Marshall County, WV (southeast), Monroe County (south), Noble County (southwest), Guernsey County (west)
- Municipalities Include Martins Ferry, St. Clairsville, Barnesville, Bellaire, Belmont, Bethesda, Bridgeport, Brookside, Fairview, Flushing, Holloway, Morristown, Powhatan Point, Shadyside, Wilson, Yorkville.
- Townships Include Colerain, Flushing, Goshen, Kirkwood, Mead, Pease, Pultney, Richland, Smith, Somerset, Union, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wheeling, York.
- Other localities Include Alledonia, Bannock, Barton, Blaine, Colerain, Fairpoint, Glencoe, Jacobsburg, Lafferty, Lansing, Maynard, Riverview, Warnock
Belmont County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Belmont County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Belmont County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 285, Barnesville, OH 43713-0285; Belmont County Chapter, OGS meets the second Sunday of each month except December at 7:00pm. They meet in the Glenn Rockwell Genealogy Room, Barnesville-Hutton Memorial Library, 308 E. Main St., Barnesville, OH.
- Belmont County Historical Society, PO Box 434, Barnesville, OH 43713-0434; Phone: (740) 484-4716; The Belmont County Historical Society maintains a restored Century Home mansion as its museum. On the National Register of Historic Places, the Museum has 26 rooms with Victorian furnishings dating from 1888 to 1893. The Museum's basement features early farm tools and kitchen artifacts.
- Martins Ferry Area Historical Society, PO Box 422, Martins Ferry, OH 43935-0422; Phone: (304) 281-8329; The Martins Ferry Area Historical Society maintains the Sedgwick House Museum. The museum features an extensive collection of artifacts from the Martins Ferry area. Included are items of everyday use, business memorabilia, Zane family articles, glassware, vintage clothing, and military uniforms.
- Underground Railroad Museum , 206 High St, Box 47, Flushing, OH 43977-0047; Phone: (740) 968-2080; The Underground Railroad Museum endeavors to gather, preserve, collect and display objects of educational and historical importance to the area, including the Underground Railroad in Ohio.
- Belmont County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Belmont County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Belmont County
- Belmont County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Belmont County
Belmont County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Belmont County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Belmont County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Belmont County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Belmont County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 101 Main St., St. Clairsville 43950-1224
- Phone: (740) 695-2121
- Belmont County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (740) 699-2144
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Probate Records: 1804
- Belmont County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 740.699.2140
- Land Records: 1800
- Belmont County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone: (740) 695-2121
- Court Records: 1804
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Belmont County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Belmont County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Belmont County genealogy or family history related sites.
Belmont Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Belmont Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Belmont Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Belmont Co. OH Census Records
Belmont Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Belmont Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Belmont Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Belmont Co. OH General and History Websites
Belmont Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Belmont Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Belmont Co. OH Military Records
- Belmont County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Belmont County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.