Athens County, Ohio Facts
Athens County Facts
- Government Website: www.athenscountygovernment.com/
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1805 from Washington County
- County Seat: Athens
- Named After: Athens, Greece
- Bordering Counties: Perry County (north), Morgan County (northeast), Washington County (east), Wood County, WV (southeast), Meigs County (south), Vinton County (west), Hocking County (northwest)
- Municipalities Include Athens, Nelsonville, Albany, Amesville, Buchtel, Chauncey, Coolville, Glouster, Jacksonville, Trimble.
- Townships Include Alexander, Ames, Athens, Bern, Canaan, Carthage, Dover, Lee, Lodi, Rome, Trimble, Troy, Waterloo, York. .
- Other localities Include Carbondale, Guysville, Hockingport, Millfield, New Marshfield, Shade, Sharpsburg, Stewart
Athens County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Athens County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Athens County Chapter, OGS, 65 N. Court St., Athens, OH 45701-2506; meets usually at 65 N. Court St., Athens, OH, on the third Monday of each month. There are no meetings in July and August. Dates and sites of meeting change at times. Operating as a division of the Athens County Historical Society and Museum, the Chapter collects Bible records, generation charts, and family histories. It maintains a research library and provides limited research assistance. Additionally it sponsors both the First Families of Athens County and the newly organized Pioneers of Athens County.
- Athens County Historical Society & Museum, 65 N Court St, Athens, OH 45701-2506; Phone: (740) 592-2280; The Athens County Historical Society & Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits interactively the material culture found in the histroy of Athens County and its citizens. ACHS&M also provides local history programming and genealogy research assistance.
- Robert E. & Jean R. Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections at Ohio University, Alden Library, 30 Park Place, Athens, OH 45701-2978; Phone: (740) 593-2710
- Shade-Lodi History and Genealogy Association, 14611 Ruth Rd, Athens, OH 45701-9088; Phone: (740) 696-0070
- Western estern Washington County Historical Society, 17050 Murphy Rd, Amesville, OH 45711-3907
- Athens County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Athens County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Athens County
- Athens County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Athens County
Athens County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Athens County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Athens County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Athens County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Athens County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Athens 45701-2888
- Phone: (740) 592-3242
- Athens County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Address: 1 S. Court Street, 4th Floor; Athens, OH 45701
- Phone: (740)592-3242
- Marriage Records: 1817
- Probate Records: 1800
- Athens County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Address: 15 S. Court Street - Room 236, Athens, Ohio 45701
- Phone: (740) 592-3228
- Land Records: 1792
- Athens County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Address: ?
- Phone: ?
- Court Records: 1807
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Athens County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Athens County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Athens County genealogy or family history related sites.
Athens Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Athens Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Athens Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Athens Co. OH Census Records
Athens Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Athens Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Athens Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Athens Co. OH General and History Websites
Athens Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Athens Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Athens Co. OH Military Records
- Athens County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Athens County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.