Allen County, Ohio Facts
Allen County Facts
- Government Website: www.co.allen.oh.us
- Created Date / Origin: March 1, 1820 from Shelby County and unorganized land (organized in 1831)
- County Seat: Lima
- Named After: John Allen (1771/2-1813), a War of 1812 colonel
- Bordering Counties: Putnam County (north), Hancock County (northeast), Hardin County (east), Auglaize County (south), Van Wert County (west)
- Municipalities Include Delphos, Lima, Beaverdam, Bluffton, Cairo, Elida, Ft. Shawnee, Harrod, Lafayette, Spencerville.
- Townships Include Amanda, American, Auglaize, Bath, Jackson, Marion, Monroe, Perry, Richland, Shawnee, Spencer, Sugar Creek..
- Other localities Include Include Gomer
Allen County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Allen County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Allen County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1104, Lima OH, 45802; Allen County Chapter, OGS meets at the Elizabeth M. MacDonell Memorial Library of the Allen County Historical Society and Museum, 620 W. Market St., Lima, OH, on the third Sunday of each month, except August and December. First Families induction in July. They meet at 1:45pm.
- Allen County Historical Society, 620 W Market St, Lima, OH 45801-4604; Phone: (419) 222-9426; The Allen County Historical Society maintains a museum with exhibits on natural history, history, and art.
- Daughters of the American Revolution-Ohio Society, 5253 Willow Dr, Lima, OH 45807-1337
- Spencerville Historical Society, PO Box 8, Spencerville, OH 45887-0008; Phone: (419) 236-7913
- Allen County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Allen County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Allen County
- Allen County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Allen County
Allen County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically fail to notice the benefits of Allen County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogical details. Hidden away in Ohio courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Ohio people.
The possibilities are excellent that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least quite a few aspects of their lives in the Allen County court records. Even if your ancestors is not discussed in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other details prior to visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of workers will help people in locating the materials, however it's up to the man or women to do the researching.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Allen County. The dates indicated listed below are considered the first noted records data for this particular county.
- Allen County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 N. Main St., Lima 45801-4456
- Phone: (419) 228-3700
- Allen County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts
- Phone: (419)223-8501
- Marriage Records: 1831 - Present
- Birth & Death Records: 1867 - 1908
- Probate Records: 1835 - Present
- Allen County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Phone: 419-223-8517
- Land Records: 1831
- Allen County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- Phone:(419) 228-3700
- Court Records: 1831
- Ohio Department of Health, Vital Statistics, has copies for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
Allen County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allen County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Allen County genealogy or family history related sites.
Allen Co. OH Books, Newspapers & Publications
Allen Co. OH Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Allen Co. OH Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Allen Co. OH Census Records
Allen Co. OH Cemeteries & Graveyards
Allen Co. OH Church & Bible Records
Allen Co. OH Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Allen Co. OH General and History Websites
Allen Co. OH Immigration & Naturalization
Allen Co. OH Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Allen Co. OH Military Records
- Allen County Military Records (usgwarchives.net)
- Ohio Military Records (Fold3.com) provides access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents belonging to the Ohio women and men which served. Great for Allen County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.