Warren County, North Carolina Facts
Warren County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.warrencountync.com
- Created Date / Origin: 1779 from Bute County
- County Seat: Warrenton
- Named After: Joseph Warren (1741–1775), a Patriot and volunteer private who was mortally wounded at the Battle of Bunker Hill
- Bordering Counties: Brunswick County, VA (northeast), Northampton County (northeast), Halifax County (east), Franklin County (south), Vance County (west), Mecklenburg County, VA (northwest)
- Townships: Fishing Creek, Fork, Hawtree, Judkins, Nutbush, River, Roanoke, Sandy Creek, Shocco, Sixpound, Smith Creek, and Warrenton
- Cities & Towns: Macon, Norlina, Warrenton
Warren County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Warren County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Warren County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Warren County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Warren County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Warren County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. Some early County records may have been destroyed in 1935
- Warren County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 109 S Main St, Warrenton, NC 27589
- Warren County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Warren County.
- Phone: (252) 257 3265
- Birth Records: 1914
- Marriage Records: 1779
- Death Records: 1914
- Land Records: 1764
- Warren County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Phone: (252) 755-4000
- Probate Records: 1763
- Court Records: 1769
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Warren County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Warren County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Warren County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Warren County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Warren Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Warren Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Warren Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Warren Co. NC Census Records
Warren Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Warren Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Warren Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Warren Co. NC General and History Websites
Warren Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Warren Co. NC Military Records
Warren Co. NC Schools & Directories