Wake County, North Carolina Facts
Wake County Quick Facts are:
- Government Website: www.wakegov.com/
- Created Date / Origin: 1771 from Cumberland County, Orange County and Johnston County
- County Seat: Raleigh
- Named After: Margaret Wake, the wife of British colonial governor William Tryon
- Bordering Counties: Granville County (north), Franklin County (northeast), Nash County (east), Johnston County (southeast), Harnett County (southwest), Chatham County (west), Durham County (northwest)
- Townships: Bartons Creek, Buckhorn, Cary, Cedar Fork, Holly Springs, House Creek, Leesville, Little River, Marks Creek, Meredith, Middle Creek, Neuse, New Light, Panther Branch, Raleigh, St. Mary's, St. Matthew's, Swift Creek, Wake Forest, and White Oak
- Cities & Towns: Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Garner, Holly Springs, Knightdale, Morrisville, Raleigh, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wendell, Zebulon, Bonsal, Carpenter, Feltonville, Friendship, Green Level, New Hill
Wake County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wake County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Wake County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist typically forget about the importance of Wake County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogy information. Buried away in North Carolina courthouses and archives everywhere are often the hopes and dreams and frustrations of the many North Carolina men and women.
The possibilities are excellent that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Wake County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Please make sure to call the clerk's dept to identify hours, mailing address, fees and other facts just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will assist individuals in obtaining the materials, however it's up to the individual to undertake the basic research.
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Wake County. The years pointed out listed below are the first noted records with this county. Some County Courthouse records may have been destroyed in register's office fire in 1832
- Wake County Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses for Wake County.
- Address: 421 Fayetteville Street, Suite 300 - Floor 3, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Phone: 919-856-5460
- Birth Records: ?
- Marriage Records: 1770
- Death Records: ?
- Land Records: 1774
- Wake County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Address:316 Fayetteville St Mall, Raleigh, NC 27601
- Phone: 919-755-4000
- Probate Records: 1770
- Court Records: 1769
- Divorce Records: call court clerk for details
- Wake County Tax Assessor / Collector
- North Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Carolina for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Wake County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wake County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is merely a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Wake County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.
Wake Co. NC Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wake Co. NC Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wake Co. NC Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wake Co. NC Census Records
Wake Co. NC Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wake Co. NC Church & Bible Records
Wake Co. NC Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wake Co. NC General and History Websites
Wake Co. NC Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wake Co. NC Military Records
Wake Co. NC Schools & Directories